Radiator Fan does not work on 1980 Spider2000

Gotta love that wiring . . .
bocajrs

Radiator Fan does not work on 1980 Spider2000

Post by bocajrs »

As the subject line state, the radiator fan will not come on and of course the car overheats if I don't watch the temp gauge. I replaced the radiator last year, and noticed that on the radiator, on the driver side lower half, there is a plug with wires coming out of it. Those wires don't lead anywhere given that they are cut. I assume this is the Radiator Fan Switch?

I did check the Radiator Fan itself to see if it works by connecting directly to the battery with two cables. It works.

So is my problem as simple as buying a new Radiator Fan Switch and plugging directly to the wires that come out of the Radiator Fan? And does the switch pictured below connect directly to the wires coming out of the fan?

Thanks in advanced and please excuse my ignorance as I'm new to the idea of trying to fix my own fiat.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Re: Radiator Fan does not work on 1980 Spider2000

Post by mdrburchette »

What is your radiator fan connected to now? On my 72 the sender has two white/black wires. One goes directly to the fan motor and one goes to the fan motor relay. The fan motor has a blue wire going to the relay. I don't know how different your model would be. Do you have a wiring diagram?
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
joelbert2k

Post by joelbert2k »

The wiring for the fan is pretty simple. One wire going to the fan carries 12v the other wire goes to one of the wires on the switch. The second wire on the switch connects to ground. That's all there is too it.
Check Brad Artigue's excellent website for wiring diagrams.
Here's the one you need, the fan is on pg6.
http://www.artigue.com/wp-content/uploa ... 9_1980.pdf
Joel
VAS

Rad. Fan Switch/Coolant

Post by VAS »

Have you recently replaced a coolant hose or thermostat? If so, give us a call and we will send you our tech sheet on burping your car. Unless the coolant is properly, fully filled, very often the fan switch will fail to activate.

We can email or snail mail you a our tech sheet on this issue free.

Also, there is a simple means to check to make sure your fan works.

-Jerry Lee Phillips, owner VAS

1 -800- 466-FIAT (3428)
frankbmg

Post by frankbmg »

Even faster, http://www.international-auto.com tech bulletins.
FB