Wiper motor & linkage assembly position

Gotta love that wiring . . .
velozi

Wiper motor & linkage assembly position

Post by velozi »

Does it matter how you position the small arm that connects the motor and the assembly?

Straight down, facing left...? Any specific position that maximizes torque and/or wiper blade function?
mbouse

Re: Wiper motor & linkage assembly position

Post by mbouse »

the arm is only one size with just the two holes. didja forget to note how the arms laid when you took everything apart?

providing the motor functioned adequately, you will easily tell if you have the assembly 180° out of sync. just run the motor through a complete cycle and allow it to park itself. then position the wipers to point to the passenger side of the car (north american passenger side).

there are no torque adjustments. the best thing you can do is to perform brown wire surgery to provide good 12vdc to the motor. additionally, lubricate the dickens out of the wiper assembly, especially the shaft where it goes through the cowl.

http://flumichigan.italiancarclub.com/T ... urgery.pdf

http://flumichigan.italiancarclub.com/T ... erArms.pdf
velozi

Post by velozi »

Thanks.

I forgot to mark the location before I took everything out. The photo gives me a general idea of the angle.

I am planning on down surgery this weekend since it now moves but sssslllllooooowwww.
digitech
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Post by digitech »

Good info Mike - but I believe the best solution to slow wipers is to add the relays as so many have suggested. The "brown wire" upgrade is still very worthwhile though.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

for some cars, proper lubrication of the wiper arm shafts is the only solution. that shaft is steel, and the housing it runs through is aluminum. combine steel and aluminum together in close proximity for 30 years and you will produce a unique type of corrosion.

that corrosion in this location is resolved by nothing more than lots of lubrication and elbow grease. no amount of relays or rewiring will fix that corrosion issue. the mechanical assembly MUST function freely if the motor is to be of any use.
ole78
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by ole78 »

Dear Dr Mbouse,

Wipers slowed down the other day and was hoping to take the fiat on a 160 miler.
So, did the brown wire (battery to ignition switch version) and my dash lights went out...
Wipers still slow.
No trip for me (also developed a rattlin in the engine – thot water pump, but pretty sure I got me a smog pump seizing up here in Minnesnowta – prolly just scared it to death).
Anyway, any thots on my brown wire snafu?
One Swedish car and three Italian:
1998 Saab 900 Turbo ragtop
1978 Fiat 124 Spider
2005 Fiat Grand Caravan...
2001 Fiat Cherokee ;)