custom hood?

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

custom hood?

Post by spiderrey »

here r some pics of what i am working on. trying to close the hole in my hood that my air cleaners stick out of. also working on different gas pedal assembly
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

wow, that's a big lump, have you had it looked at by a Dr?
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Interesting, Rey. I think the hump will look better in the middle than just on the driver's side where you need the clearance. Why are you changing the acc pedal?
Gerard Del Monte

Post by Gerard Del Monte »

I LIKE that hood. Yes the bump is large per se, but it gently swells up and looks natural, more natural than the two abrupt bulges on my 81's hood.
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

if i can get it grafted on to look original. ill be very happy. the BIG lump is not a cosmetic thing, its purly functional. i only have a 1/4 inch clearance at the front by the air cleaner.and i agree, i think the lines on the lump match the car perfectly.
about the pedal, it was modified to work around the manifold, it broke once and was re welded. the newer pedal will look cleaner from the engine bay, be stronger and easier to modify at the carb side, for what i want anyways.
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

just a thought, how far back does the 1438 manifold ror dual webers swing the carbs back towards the rear of the engine bay. this could give me more clearance at the inside of the bulge on the hood. my rear air cleaner has 1 1/4 inches of clearance at the fire wall. any thoughts
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

while the diff pedal i was going to use, wont work. so ill reinstall the original i guess...
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

That's a bummer, Rey. Was it a pedal that came out where our wiring harness would usually come out of the firewall? I kept the original setup, even though everyone told me I'd have to change the pedal for the cable linkage.
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

we have a wnner. u r correct. i liked that cable set up better.
Joe Clemente

Post by Joe Clemente »

Definitely looks like a unique mod Rey. Where is that bulge from anyway?

Here is an obvious question. If it is not a cosmetic thing, as you say, forgive me but wouldn't be easier to just use a hood from a newer model instead? Less work.
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

in 79 i installed a 79 hood onto my 71 to clear the air cleaner on my 40,s, it worked. but this set up is taller i think, and that 79 hood dosent fit a 70 as well as a flat hood. people do it ,but if you look at the gap at the fender, it dosent look like a factory fit. gap to large. also as ive said before, id like the car to keep looking like an early car. i guess those would be my guide lines for any visual mods. if i could i would use the perfect flat hood i have in my rafters that came with the car. so that makes this a purely functional hood in my eyes.
the bulge is off a mitsubishi eclipse. after i cut it out i got to thinking that it would be easier to re skin the fiat hood with the mitsu skin since its a larger hood. just dont know if i can get the bulge where i need it till i find another mitsu hood. hope to make some progess this week.
Joe Clemente

Post by Joe Clemente »

Good luck with it Rey.

Shows us pics when you can. Should look trick.

Joe
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

as soon as its done you will see pics, thanx joe
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

spiderrey wrote:just a thought, how far back does the 1438 manifold ror dual webers swing the carbs back towards the rear of the engine bay. this could give me more clearance at the inside of the bulge on the hood. my rear air cleaner has 1 1/4 inches of clearance at the fire wall. any thoughts
Rey, what manifold are you using for your IDF setup? If you were able to use the newer pedal setup with the cable, I may have a manifold that is offset toward the firewall for a block mounted distributor. It may help with the air cleaner issue. I couldn't use it since I'm using the original pedal linkage setup. Email me if you want to discuss this further.
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

while i installed the new manifold. it lower the carbs by 5/8 of and inch and set them back 1 1/2 inches. Wow what a difference. they are rt at the fire wall though. need to see if i can squeeze some clearance in there, and figure out diff air cleaners now though. any thoughts.