Cooling Fan stays ON

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Elial

Cooling Fan stays ON

Post by Elial »

83 Pinina Cooling fan stays on... drains the battery.
On my trip back from Freak Out the alternator quite working.... then worked again... then quite again.
Made it home safely and took the alternator in for repair.. also had to pull the radiator, took that in for refub also.
I put it all back together last night .. learned about purging the cooling system...
Went for a short ride needed a bottle of "Jack Daniels" every thing worked fine.
Pulled the garage and the colling fan turned on like it always did.
Got up this morning and the battery was dead.
I look at the wiring diags on line and will ohm the temp switch which I think is on the bottom of the rad.

Any other thoughs?

Thanks
Elial
pope

Re: Cooling Fan stays ON

Post by pope »

You think the metal foil on the Jack Daniels label is shorting something out? :D
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

Was the Jack for you or the car?Are you sure it was the fan staying on,or is it possible that alt isnt charging? I know that is your new $200 battery!! :lol: I'm glad the pix I sent you helped.
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Yours is a different year model than mine but does yours go to a relay that could be faulty? You have the black wire properly grounded too, right?
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

no relay on the late cars. Unplug the switch in the bottom of the rad to test it. Since you had the rad out, and consumed a bottle of Jack, could you have swapped the switch and fan plugs? That would cause the fan to run all of the time
Elial

Post by Elial »

So Cal Mark wrote:no relay on the late cars. Unplug the switch in the bottom of the rad to test it. Since you had the rad out, and consumed a bottle of Jack, could you have swapped the switch and fan plugs? That would cause the fan to run all of the time
Mark
Thanks for the feed back.
I'll double check the wiring .. The top fan wire does have a splice in it so I put it back in the same connection to the fan.
Also the fan switch has fast tabs that push on. so I didn't disconnect it at the plug. ( Must be Americano switch)
I Ohmed the switch and it is closed all the time. I have ordered a new switch today, should be here by the end of the week.
So I'll ohm that one before I install it.