Fried wires

Gotta love that wiring . . .
emosfiat

Fried wires

Post by emosfiat »

Hey guys, I need some serious help. Had a dead short under the dash and fried a bunch of wiring on my 81. I think I can pul the dash and rewire it but I found a black box under the dash near the steering shaft that had a wire burnt up. It is wired to a red gang connector. The shop manual labeled as a LAMDA RESET SWITCH. (O2 Sensor). My question is what does this thing do and do I need to hook it back up? Also where can I find one if I need one? Thanks Emo.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Re: Fried wires

Post by mdrburchette »

At certain mileage intervals, it illuminates the light on your dash to remind you to replace the O2 sensor. I don't think it does anything more than that but others will chime in shortly since all my cars are carbed and don't fool with silly oxygen sensors. 8)
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

OMG :shock: The electrical gremlins will not like this action. you are in for some serious repercussions!! run for you life, run Emo Run. See Emo Run....

har har har... like denise, i dunn own no stinkin' fuelie, and am glad of it. :mrgreen:

correct me if i'm wrong gang, but this is just a counter that ticks off the mileage between reset action. that counting is supposed to coinside with some of your emissions equipment that the carb'd engines were fortunate enough NOT to be equipped with. unless you enjoy an occasional lighting of a dash light reminding you to do maintenance, i would ignore this particular electrical device.

i never liked the term "idiot light" but they do come in handy for idiots like me. :roll:
emosfiat

Post by emosfiat »

Thanks guys. I got some serious surgery to do on the wires, but in time I will have it running again. I've got to I just bought a new top. Emo.