Multiple symptoms; related?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
gigi

Multiple symptoms; related?

Post by gigi »

Sure do appreciate all the help & assistance you all give on this site!
Currently, we appear to be having electrical grounding issues.
All symptoms are not constant, just off & on with no initiating pattern.
- sputtering at any speed, bucking on downshift; hesitation
- temperature increases quickly to approx 190 (from approx 165?)
- dash lights flicker, headlights get very bright and blinkers flash quickly
Once engine 'picks back up', the lights go back to normal and rev is fine
- many lights out; license plate, brake light, taillight & headlight
So far, we've replaced the rotor, cap & plug wires, no plugs fouled; still 'missing'
Also replaced license plate bulb, brake light bulb (this also fixed the tailight out)
Added fuel injection cleaner fluid to fueltank, still 'missing'
turning on heater does not effect temp, fresh fuel did not improve sputtering,
battery ground, & charge are fine and coolant level looks Ok.
Checked the 'black wire' on headlamp mentioned on another thread, this looks ok too.
Any other suggestions? Also cannot seems to locate a supplier for the sealed
headlamp (found 'replacement' ones that fit, but not the original lamp)
Thanks so much! - You all have kept my baby in optimum health!
mbouse

Re: Multiple symptoms; related?

Post by mbouse »

gotta make the assumption that previous to this complaint, all of the various electrical circuits operated 'normally'. therefore, if everything started going kaflooey all at once, there could be a common source.

have you added a grounding strap between the engine block and the body? might be that the factory ground strap between the transmission and the undercarriage has failed.
gigi

Post by gigi »

Thanks Mike! I was reading about that on an earlier thread.
So glad this site has an easy to use 'search' section!
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

if the car has been sitting with bad gas in it, adding cleaner to the tank won't help. It isn't a strong enough concentration to unstick a lifter. With the car idling, listen to each injector with a stethoscope. You should hear a solid "click" from each injector. If you don't, plan on removing the injectors and having them cleaned.
If the car is indeed running on 3 cylinders at idle, pull the plug wires one at a time to determine which cylinder isn't firing. Your lighting issues are consistent with poor connections on both the power and ground sides. Also clean the fuse box terminals and squeeze them together to ensure good contacts
gigi

Post by gigi »

Thank you Mark!
She has not been sitting, rather, my daily driver :D , maybe it's just crud at the bottom of the tank.
I usually fill up the tank twice a week so a bad tank of fuel was ruled out quickly. I have been letting the tank go
down 'til the light comes on the last couple tanks (sheer laziness!) :oops:
Thinking the poor connections and/or ground(s) is the issue. I've been taking alot of notes from previous threads to make a list of things to check. I will pass on the stethoscope idea to my mechanic too. Now if I could just part with her
long enough to leave her with him for a while...
MNspiderman

Post by MNspiderman »

One thing you said caught my attention. that was where you said the lights get brighter. your alternator and/or regulator could be the problem. giving you surges in your voltage output to the entire car. So i might be inclined to say your alternator is on the fritz. Off subject now.....I've done limo work before and this is why you can't put a 14 volt limo style alternator on a 12 volt system without the proper regulators. Realizing you don't have a limo alternator, just saying I've fixed vehicles that thought they can raise the voltage because they want a big stereo system and thought this was the way to go. NOT. So have you blown any light bulbs lately?
gigi

Post by gigi »

Yes, MNspiderman, actually I've had many blown bulbs lately: brake, license plate and headlamp. I'll
pass this alternator/regulator idea on my mechanic. Not only am I blowing bulbs, I can feel the 'blip'
in the accelerator when the engine picks back up. If that happens while the tach is working, it will
'skip' a bit; just a tiny bit if I'm looking directly at it. Of course, if the tach is not working at that time,
I don't notice it skipping, but I can hear it as I'm driving. I do not have a big stereo system nor is the
radio loud (I'd rather listen to my baby purring than anything but Van Halen) :wink: .
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

brighter is a relative term.

especially in an ageing electrical system. failing alternator may be the key, however... i am thinking not until proven otherwise. lunch is riding on this - -
gigi

Post by gigi »

So far, the grounds that Coop has cleaned were not the culprits. I'll be sure to keep you posted on
any progress (are tacos are on the lunch menu?!)
:lol:
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

what kind of tacos? where i work, 40% of the local population is Mexican immigrant. there are several authentic Mexican restaurants in the area. real tacos are sooo much better than Taco Bell junk food.