This one is a little different

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
Joe Clemente

This one is a little different

Post by Joe Clemente »

One of my brother's customers brought his car out to a local show recently. I only got a few shots but I thought I might share them with you guys. He's taken a fairly original approach to his car, especially the interior work. The dash is fiberglass and quite an original approach; offset gauges, document holder where the instrumentation was, lots of accessorizing including the seats, custom stereo, body work, 300mm Tarox rotors and 6 piston binders under massive wheels. (4X100 conversion) I believe it's slated for a major engine upgrade at some point as well. Lots of $ in this one.

Image Image

Image Image
bandit

Post by bandit »

Looks very modern ! kinda cool but i don't like the look of those wheels on
a 124 maybe it's just me ?

Daniel
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Nice and clean, Joe. I like the way he used thin bumpers with the air dam. The dash is very modern. It kind of makes you wonder what a 124 Spider would look like if they ever brought it back.
Joe Clemente

Post by Joe Clemente »

Yeah, they would not be my first choice of wheel either but then it isn't my car. These are a Honda fitment I believe. I think the 4X100 conversion was done before he was able to get bigger diameter wheels in a 4X98. He's got a new set on the way now from Italy.

Anway, it's something different and nice to see somebody else who's really into his Spider.
lanciahf

Post by lanciahf »

I love the front bumpers. Sort of matches the rear spilt bumpers. Any idea how he made them? Cut up a stock early front bumper? Joe can you get a larger picture of the front bumper?

Thanks,
Ralph
Gerard Del Monte

Post by Gerard Del Monte »

I do like those split front bumpers and air dam, works for me. The dash doesn't, but hey, to each his own.
spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

Post by spiderrey »

theres a car that shows up at the frech italian car show every year. it has a split front bumper, though its very crude looking. this one actually looks nice. and i always wondered what it would look like if you split the front bumper and installed an oval bar, a la the the ford cobra.
Joe Clemente

Post by Joe Clemente »

Image Image

I didn't get a chance to speak to the owner specifically about the bumper but I believe that's all it is, just a well executed split front from an older model. Car still needs a proper rear bumper to match but he hasn't found one yet. Next time I see him at the shop I will ask. I'm told he is going to be discussing a 16V conversion with bro. I will try to get a few more pics as well.

Rey,

I know what you mean about that Cobra look. Would be very cool. Places an importance on doing it right though as you mention. I saw another Spider with a nicely done split on the net. Think it belongs to our Aussie friend Curly. Over at Fiat Center.

If you guys look down at the lower valance where the bottom grill is. The body guys apparently took three inches out of that opening when the front spolier was incorporated. They also mounted the side skirts (again not my preference) a bit too high so in combination with those wheels the car looks like it has more ground clearance and ride height.

The dash started off as a big slab of foam which was cut and shaped and then smoothed, from which later on a complete plug was pulled for the FG mold. In total the dash work would be a few thousand bucks, just in labor alone. Definitely unique.
Last edited by Joe Clemente on Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I could do without the side skirts also, but overall the car is very nice. It's great to see someone putting that much effort into a Spider. The dash is cool, but not my preference. I like the gauges in front of me, rather than having to look away to see them. Now it just needs a nasty motor to go with the look
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

i agree that its good to see someone put that much quality work into a spider. there are not enough people doing this. my take on the is very nice work. in my opinion the skirts and spoiler look to modern for the car for my own personal taste. everything i do to my car, i try to keep it looking ol skool. modern ideas with a look of yesterday if that makes sense. the only reason i havent gone with the big brake kit is i cant get my wheels in a larger size. i love these wheels. i also really like his seats. cant wait to see more. hope his motor is somewhat unique.
lanciahf

Maybe just maybe?

Post by lanciahf »

Do you think they are two rear bumpers mounted on the fronts? The ends where I assumed the bumpers were cut seem to be shaped like stock rear bumpers.
Joe Clemente

Re: Maybe just maybe?

Post by Joe Clemente »

lanciahf wrote:Do you think they are two rear bumpers mounted on the fronts? The ends where I assumed the bumpers were cut seem to be shaped like stock rear bumpers.
I think it is a front actually. I could be wrong but despite the fact that the older Spiders did have a split rear, they had slightly longer sides, no? Did the rear pieces not wrap and extend further forward up the quarter panel?
Could someone verify that?

I pulled this image off Wikipedia for comparison. This is another beautiful example. Anyone know it?

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grafika:Fi ... _v_sst.jpg

In any case I'll confirm when I speak to the owner.
lanciahf

Post by lanciahf »

Joe you are right. Below is a picture of my car.

Joe Clemente

Post by Joe Clemente »

Ahh. Good picture. Thanks for that.
Hey, any idea where I can obtain a complete set?

The more I see them the more I am warming up to the idea of replacing my big tube and rubber bumpers with the oldies. I don't mind the tube styles but I think a bit of weight savings would be a good thing.
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

that has to be a fromt bumper cut. the rear is more square at the corner