Electric cut-off switch: Any drawbacks or damage?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
velozi

Electric cut-off switch: Any drawbacks or damage?

Post by velozi »

I recently installed an ignition cut-off switch that kills all power to the car. I cut it every time I park.

Do you know if the constant on/off cut can damage any of the components?

I wait until the rad fan stops before I cut it off and there is no clock in the car. Can not think of any other component that needs power after parking but let me know of any suggestions or past experiences.

Thanks.
mbouse

Re: Electric cut-off switch: Any drawbacks or damage?

Post by mbouse »

i use one of those green capped battery cut off terminals with zero ill effect. plays havoc on the radio presets and the electronic clock, but other than that, there are no issues.
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

Hey Velozi,

I think these are a great addition to the Spider (or any roadster). In addition to providing a complete disconnect for Winter storage, they are also a useful anti-theft deterrent. I guess there are some thieves that carry a key, but I still feel good in my hotel room with it on my nightstand!

If you wire a connector for a float charger, like I did, remember to place it "upstream" of the master switch.

ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

Damn Bernie...no wonder we couldnt get your car started in the parking lot! :D I have used one of the type like Mike spoke of,since I have had the car.No ill effects at all.I put a inline fuse on mine,so it keeps the clock and presets,but it will blow if you try to start the car.I know...I have forgotten and tried to start it several times :oops:
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

Where's your imagination, Craig?

Long jumper cables, your daughter drives your car alongside. How tough could that be? :shock: