High Beams

Gotta love that wiring . . .
katsi

High Beams

Post by katsi »

I have all my electrical, concerning the lighting anyway, working except the driver's side Hi beam. It seems that when I turn on the high beams the driver's side goes out. Lo beams = both working :mrgreen: . Anyway, the head light in question is a bran-new one and the other (the one that works) is an old, crappy, cracked one. I have followed all the wires and they all seem fine. TO ADD, I initially thought that it could be the turn signal \ Hi Lo bean switch assembly on the collumn and decided to replace it with another one as my levers were all busted off anyway. With the new to me, used one installed, I still get the same exact responce so I don't think the problem is there. Any solutions to similar problems? :roll:
mbouse

Re: High Beams

Post by mbouse »

of course, you know that each side has its own fuse, and of course you checked all the fuses.

even though the low beam works on that side, the high beam may not as you have a bad ground. triple check, clean and tighten the connections for that bulb.

swap bulbs side to side to prove that it is not the bulb that is bad. While you are doing that, clean and tighten the connections at the bulb, and put a volt meter to those wires at the bulb.

once you are postive that you have power after the fuse, and once you have proven that the bulb is good, then you are looking a the wiring between the bulb and the fuse.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

you need either a test light or voltmeter, or keep guessing :?:
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

thanks, mark. i guess i inferred that, 'eh?

of course, some 000 steel wool across the contacts works great to prove the presence of current (but, a little messy) :mrgreen:
katsi

Post by katsi »

Oh, come on man 8) Yes, I did all of those thinge except switch head lights to see if one was bad :oops: . Never really thought of that. I guess because the only one not working properly was the one I took out of the box and installed, which could be the problem right there. :lol: I will do that tonight and let you know.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

so much easier, and more enlightening to use a test light to check for power rather than swap parts :wink:
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

we all don't think the same...and there are many paths to the same goal, grasshopper :wink:
katsi

Post by katsi »

Mike, I was just joking. Anyway, I did swap the lamps out and that ended up being about a 4 hour job as the screws holding the retaining ring on the pass side were stripped and rusted in place. :evil: Anyway, sheared off the tip of my finger on the broken head lamp and managed to make both high beams not work. So, I would call it a normal attempt on my part :shock: SO, what is that whole test light thing? :roll: Anyway, I supposed that the head lamp ring was something that needed to be addressed anyway. I think I will invest in a test light on the way home. I have the retaining screws in my pocket and am going to try to match something up at Home Depot. :| I think I will have to use more of a sheet metal screw as I had to drill out some of those little screws in the retaining ring as they sheared off on both sides when I way trying to unscrew thim with a pair of pliers. :mrgreen:
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

the investment of an inexpensive VOM (volt-ohm-meter) would be an advisable alternative if you are on the uphill battle of auto electricals.

there's a connection just behind the headlights in the engine bay that quickly disconnects. testing for power here with the meter (as mark suggests) might have saved that fingertip..or not.
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

Katsi,

I've got at least 4 sets of headlight bulbs some of them halogen. Let me know if you want a used set real cheap. Also got the headlight buckets in case yours is beyond repair.

matt.scarton@gmail.com
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Good grief, Katsi! You're an accident waiting to happen, aren't you? I've been reading your trials and tribulations and it reminds me of my luck with cars. The fact you haven't thrown up your hands and quit has made you my hero! :mrgreen:
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

Denise,

he seems to be having nearly as many challenges with is Spider as you did with Devil X
psg

Post by psg »

I went through the exact same problem, replaced lamp looked at fuses jiggled most everything. The problem for me was in the white plastic connector where the main wiring goes to each lamp set. The connector wire pulled away inside the plastic so I couldn't see the problem. When I was pushing the connector together I noticed the wire was loose. When I pushed one of the wires it all worked. psg