Starter won't stop spinning

Gotta love that wiring . . .
MNspiderman

Starter won't stop spinning

Post by MNspiderman »

My car was idling for about 20 minutes because I am trying to break it in after the rebuild with a dead cylinder to boot, but anyway... I was in my garage and heard that starter smash into the flywheel sound, I ran over shut the car off, car shut off but the starter kept trying to turn the engine until i pulled the battery wire, I let it cool for an hour or so, tried hooking up the battery cable (with the key off) and it started to turn the engine over all by itself. I am going to check those two connection Mark mentioned in another post that sounds exactly like my post. But nobody ever acknowledged if the problem was solved or not. Now I am starting to understand F.I.A.T. more and more. not to mention I have no brake lights, but i haven't gotten that far with the car yet.
So Cal Mark

Re: Starter won't stop spinning

Post by So Cal Mark »

that starter condition is usually caused by low voltage at the starter
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Not likely a low voltage issue if starter enganged while engine sitting there idling.
Keith
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Stuck solenoid maybe? Bang it with a hammer. Most things die if you hit em hard enough.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
MNspiderman

Post by MNspiderman »

Problem solved. Wheeeeew. The two skinnier wires on the starter post were installed before the main battery cable which pushed one of the skinnier wires (brown and red wires) which was the brown wire into the metal solder joint. It got pinched into the sharp little spike (must be from soldering) that was where the single red wire went too. which fed juice directly to the red wire which made the starter stay engaged no matter where the key was located.
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

Well, I for one can't understand why no one here could figure that out! Of course that's the cause!
Man are we a bunch of dummies. :lol:
Good going spiderman.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.