Turn Signals, or lack thereof...

Gotta love that wiring . . .
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Re: Turn Signals, or lack thereof...

Post by narfire »

I had simmilar issues with the circut board. I took fine sandpaper/emmery paper and gently gave the light sockets a tidy up and the contacts at the bottom of the sockets. Made sure they had good contact with the bulb,perhaps bend up a tad.
That helped,also used a screwdriver type test light to check the conductive tape worked on the circut board. Found a bit had pulled up near the connection to the passenger side lights interupting the signal.
Once sorted they generally work fine.
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box
Holshot
Your car is a: 1982 TURBO Spider 1979 Spider

Post by Holshot »

I had a similar problem with no turn signals for the last few days... my problem started right after I realized I had a dead bulb in the rear pass. tail light and after replacing the bulb I noticed I had no turn signals at all. No light or and click of the relay when I would activate the marker arm off the steering column. Immediately I assumed that I must not have plugged in a harness all the way but after further inspection and double checking everything was fine...

After nearly pulling out my hair for almost two days checking and re-checking fusses, grounds ect... and found nothing. I started thinking back to what else I did after replacing the light. All I did was detail the interior, after staring at the dash for a half hour something didn't look quite right. The Hazard button was about a 1mm sunken in but you never would have noticed unless you were as annal as me. Turns out while detailing the car I pushed the hazard button just enough to complete the circuit and disrupt the signal to the turn signals.

Turns out that the hazard signal switch ties into the turn signals and if it is depressed then the turn signals will not work at all. So after pushing the button a few times I noticed it would not completely release when turning it back off and would come out all the way except that last mm or so it needed to completely be off even though the blinkers stopped blinking and appeared to be off. After a quick spray with my trusty WD-40 can the switch started working perfectly again and then my turn signals started working again... I figured I would mention this little issue I had to others that my be having blinker troubles as well in the future. It can be so many different things even something like a bad or stuck hazard switch so hopefully this info helps someone else in the future.

Giuseppe
Giuseppe

1979 Fiat Spider
1982 Fiat Spider TURBO
1984 Pinninfarina Spider (gone but not forgotten)
launieg
Your car is a: 1981 spider 2000

Post by launieg »

I had trouble with my rear circuit boards. Removed them, drilled out the rivets, then cleaned them up, including putting a small wire brush on the moto-tool to clean up the inside of the sockets. Put it all back together and seems as good as new. I found a lot of corrosion behind the sockets, thus the need to drill out the rivets.
Launie
'81 Spider Rolling Restoration