C 50 is what ?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
zappi

C 50 is what ?

Post by zappi »

Still trying to figure out my electrical problem. This post is an add-on to my no start post. With multi meter in hand the other day I went to the starter touching the 12v connection and to ground on the engine. I had my doughter attempt to turn over the engine and holy crap it did !! O.k so I pumped the pedal a few times and tried again. This time the engine started. So I went for a small drive around the corner with no problem. The next day I went to start her up again, but to my dismay I am back at square one. So I most definatly have a bad ground somewhere. Looking at my wiring diagram from (Artigue), I see a connector that I cannot identify. It is labeled C 50. Does anybody know what this is ?

I am going to replace my body to trani ground as soon as I can.

On another note. I used to have sparks when removing or installing my main ground to the battery.

Thanks ahead of time to all for your support.

Jon
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: C 50 is what ?

Post by spider2081 »

I looked on a 1980/81 wire diagram and C 50 on that diagram is a single cavity connector located on the drivers side of the radiator. It powers the horns. I don't have Brad's diagram to cross check.

If you have not done the brown wire repair I would inspect C17 (4 cavity connector with 3 brown wires) located under the dash drivers side between steering and fender. If it is corroded or shows signs of over heating its a problem.

Also I would inspect the ignition switch connector C31 (5 cavity) located behind the ignition switch. Voltage for "run and start" into the switch is the brown wire. Voltage out of the switch to the starter is terminal 50 of the switch and is a red wire in C31.

The single push on spade connector on the starter solenoid needs to be clean and tight.

The ignition switch start position could also be an intermittent problem. The started solenoid draws a fair amount of current (a little over 5 amps) and if the switch internal contacts are worn and corroded the starter will engage intermittently. I installed a relay between the starter solenoid and the ignition switch to get around this problem. A 25 amp contact rated Bosch relay's coil draws much less current than the starter solenoid so the worn contacts in the ignition switch have no effect.

Good Luck
zappi

Post by zappi »

Thank you very much. I will look into all of that. That being said, I found the problem. This was simply a short to ground issue. I found the single wire to the Oil pressure switch just above the filter to be broken and touching the block. How that little wire can short out the whole system is really a nightmare. I definatly need to clean up some electrical work and I would like to thank all of you who have been able to assist me in my little piece of spider heaven.

Jon :D
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Again looking at an 80/81 wire diagram, the oil pressure switch connects the low oil pressure warning light to ground when the oil pressure is low. This is how the light lights. If the wire broke off the switch and was touching the engine block your oil pressure light should have been lite all the time. I don't think that wire shorting to ground could cause the engine not to run.
Sorry, course I could be mistaken.
zappi

Post by zappi »

Sight unseen I would agree with you without question. However Since the repair, (touch wood) I have had no issues. As a matter of fact, it starts even better now. I am a mechanic, and I went over every little detail that I could see. Electricity is NOT my specialty but I do get the job done cleanly.

Thanks for your posts. Happy driving.

Jon