Varying Headlights

Gotta love that wiring . . .
launieg
Your car is a: 1981 spider 2000

Varying Headlights

Post by launieg »

I was driving home in the dark last night and noticed that sometimes the headlights go nice and bright and other times they are pretty dull. No rhyme or reason (no other varying electrical loads that I am aware of). Any suggestions ? Thanks.
Launie
'81 Spider Rolling Restoration
pope

Re: Varying Headlights

Post by pope »

Either clean the ground contacts to the lights or install relays
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

No rhyme or reason, or vary with engine RPM's? Check your voltage regulator, the brushes might be wearing out.

Also check the big white connector at the ignition switch, all light ground connections, and the engine to body ground strap.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

first, check the battery cable connections and alternator belt tension. If the basics aren't sound, no sense looking for bigger problems
launieg
Your car is a: 1981 spider 2000

Post by launieg »

Thanks all, good advice. I'll work my way through the list and eliminate the possibilities. No rhyme or reason at all, by the way.
Launie
'81 Spider Rolling Restoration
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

By 1981, I think Fiat went with the internally-regulated Bosch alternator. I would suspect the regulator if you can't correlate the fluctuations with any accessory or engine presentation. An easy-enough job to remove the alternator and have it bench-tested (usually for free). She does appear to be whispering something to you, and we all know what happens when you ignore her :(
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I prefer to test alternators on the car. That way you have a real world situation