Strange no start??!!

Gotta love that wiring . . .
zappi

Strange no start??!!

Post by zappi »

O.K here we go. Got caught in rain strom. Car was driving perfect before and during. Parked her, did my shopping and went to start her and got nothing. Nothing means no power at all. Checked the battery with my multi (11.3v) Disconnected the battery and charged for a half hour. Put the key to accesory and I had power. As soon as I try to start I hear the click but everything goes dead. Disconnect the two terminals touch them together and reconnect bring me back to power until I try to start. I pulled the starter and bench tested with no problem at all. Reconected everyting but as soon as I turn that key to start, everything goes dead. A real head scratcher amongst other tings.

If anybody has any insight I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks.
carl55

Re: Strange no start??!!

Post by carl55 »

Hi
Check inside distributor cap for mositure.

Carl
jimincalif
Your car is a: 1980 FI Spider

Post by jimincalif »

11.3 volts? that's basically dead. It doesn't happen often, but batteries can fail suddenly where the internal resistance increases such that they will not sustain any load. This happened to my wife's minivan, everything was fine, then it wasn't. Did you try another battery or jump-start?
1980 FI Spider
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

if your charging system is working you should have 12.5v at least. Unless your cables are so corroded you're not getting a good connection, it sounds like a bad battery. Charge if fully, test the voltage. If it's above 12v, connect the cables and attach your voltmeter. See what the voltage is with a load on it. 9.6 is required to operate the starter under load
zappi

Post by zappi »

I have a new battery installed and I still have the same problem. I also have a signal from the red wire. I still have to reverify the all too famous brown wire at the starter.

Thank you for your help so far.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

what voltage do you have at the battery when you turn the key to "start"? Next, put the voltmeter lead on the starter terminal and try to start
Tappy
Your car is a: 124 spider 2000 1979

Post by Tappy »

you can try jump start cables and connect them directly from the battery to the starter and see from there ?

btw i like your nick Zappi :)
FineItalianAutomobile TechnologyImage

pls don't see what i write , read what i mean