Bumper options

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
dblcrona

Bumper options

Post by dblcrona »

I have seen several pics of Spiders where the federal tube bumpers have been replaced with the older style chrome bumpers or quarter bumpers or even completely removed. Everything I have read says that the tube bumpers were put on the American Spiders to meet Federal regulations. Is a Spider with this type of modification even street legal? Just curious.

Ken
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

there's no one around to enforce fed regs, but most states have bumper laws also
Gerard Del Monte

Post by Gerard Del Monte »

The tube bumpers were to meet crash regs, and they sit higher too. Many people have done the replacement. I doubt there is a state trooper anywhere in the USA who cares about a bumper swap on a 25-35 yr old car.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

Well, they might care....but wouldn't know what was stock and what was not. That the bumper was modified would go unnoticed by almost any one who is not a Fiat Freak.

I've seen very nice jobs of total BIG BUMPER removal, where the shock holes have been filled in. Makes the car look racier.

And, street legal does vary state to state. Ask the folks who have to contend with emmissions tests. Which reminds me.......NEVER, NEVER throw that emmissions stuff away. Always, always offer it to a fellow Fiat owner for the cost of shipping, even if you think it is worthless. Once that stuff is in the recyle dump, it is lost and gone for good. Which could end up stranding an otherwise perfectly good vehicle.