Tube Bumper Thoughts & Solutions?

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
lmandb

Re: Tube Bumper Thoughts & Solutions?

Post by lmandb »

Hi, Just modified my rear bumper. Cut it apart, took the mounts off the middle of the bumper and reset them into (1) one tube, so all that is left is a single tube bumper centered across the rear. All the rubber has been removed. I am going to spray paint / power coat the bumper a dark slate gray. Trying to make it disappear. Anyway my thoughts were to try and maintain the rear bumper shocks and some strength in case of a rear end collision. You can't guarantee who might run into you. Unlike the front which I will completely remove. If I run into someone it's my fault. I will post a pic as soon as I get it all painted and installed. Les from So Cal. 8)
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

We will be looking forward to the pix!
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
racydave

Post by racydave »

Here is how the front could look doin close to the same ...http://www.flickr.com/photos/wwwfiatspi ... 605347882/
ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder »

Dave,is that pic of your car?I was curious if the rear bumper got the same treatment. Since my recent 'bumperplasty' I like the look with them on,but your diet plan looks good.
Craig
Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !
racydave

Post by racydave »

No, I have not done anything to the rear yet. I plan on goin old-school.
lmandb

Post by lmandb »

Hi all, Finished the rear bumper and have posted some photos at the below link. Hope they are OK, being a novice at this sort of thing. Anyway it came out extremely well, I like the subdued look and have maintained the shock bumper effect in case of a rear end collision. Just a post script note, I'm using the slate gray color on the front grills and lower splash just under the door sill to carry out the color combination. I'm planning on painting the car the stock color maybe with a little bit of metalic in the paint.
Les....
http://s598.photobucket.com/albums/tt70/lmandb/
azygoustoyou

Post by azygoustoyou »

Now all you need to do is drill the hole and push the bar closer to the body.
spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

Post by spiderrey »

its a big improvement. but i would try and do something with the ends to help it blend.
karhawk
Your car is a: 81 spider

Post by karhawk »

speedracer wrote:The question of what to do with the late model tube bumpers seem to go on forever. I've seen alot of interesting solutions given here, but almost all of them involve throwing them out!

Well, short of getting rid of them, is there anything we can do to make them more attractive?

I was wondering if anyone here has tried to drain the fluid out of the bumper shocks, and then pushed the tube bumpers closer to the body of the car? It seems fairly simple, and I'm thinking the tube bumpers might look more attractive closer to the body. They might appear to actually be part of the car instead of these monstrous appendages hanging way off the front and back of the car. The only problem I see is that the rubber ends might get to close to the body.

Any thoughts on this or any other solutions out there?
karhawk
Your car is a: 81 spider

Post by karhawk »

lmandb wrote:Hi, Just modified my rear bumper. Cut it apart, took the mounts off the middle of the bumper and reset them into (1) one tube, so all that is left is a single tube bumper centered across the rear. All the rubber has been removed. I am going to spray paint / power coat the bumper a dark slate gray. Trying to make it disappear. Anyway my thoughts were to try and maintain the rear bumper shocks and some strength in case of a rear end collision. You can't guarantee who might run into you. Unlike the front which I will completely remove. If I run into someone it's my fault. I will post a pic as soon as I get it all painted and installed. Les from So Cal. 8)
MyWE4

Post by MyWE4 »

this is what i am thinking...tube painted satin black and pulled tight to the body...I can't test mount today...will do that soon..crappy pic...but you can get the idea...
been done??
Chris

oops...I wanted to post this in the other thread on "removing one front tube" ....not that it's a big deal I guess, both are looking at bumper options..
Nancy1340

Post by Nancy1340 »

ga.spyder wrote:

That looks sooooo much better. I'm not much on changing things up but I'd do that.
divinabuddy

Post by divinabuddy »

Nancy1340 wrote:
ga.spyder wrote:

That looks sooooo much better. I'm not much on changing things up but I'd do that.
Hi, can you please tell how you moved the bumpers closer to the body? I'm about to take them off but hugging the body looks good enough to keep them on.
ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder »

It wa very simple.I drilled 1/4'' holes in the bumper shocks(wear eye protection),and allowed all the fluid to drain overnight.Then I pushed them in
to where it looked good to me.When they were in position,I pinned them with self tapping screws.I didnt care for the look with the bumpers off and this was the next best,and by far least expensive fix
Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !
geno58

Post by geno58 »

I drilled mine towards the rear or where the larger tube started. then I layed on my Creeper and kicked the crap out of the bumpers, one side at a time, till they started to move. Also the front ones squirted when I drilled them but the rear ones did not. And the look, much, much better