Dash Dial Glass Fog - How to prevent it?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
velozi

Dash Dial Glass Fog - How to prevent it?

Post by velozi »

I know it is common for the clock plastic to fog but my temp dial fogs depending on the day.

One day is clear, the next is slightly fogged. My gas dial also does the same thing.

This may be some type of condensation but how can I prevent it?

In SCUBA you spit in your mask to prevent it, should I spit all over my dials too?
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Re: Dash Dial Glass Fog - How to prevent it?

Post by mdrburchette »

Since the fog is on the inside, spitting on it probably won't help. The gauge is not sealing anymore. There is a way to remove the bezel to clean the glass. Maybe one of the fellas that has done this will chime in. I tried several years ago and destroyed two clocks so I just live with the fog in the other gauges. :cry:
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
punes

Post by punes »

Mine does the same...usually in the colder months...I just live with it. But to let you know, your not alone.

Frank

79 Fiat Spider
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

You could try putting a bag of desiccant (they come packed inside a lot of products to attract the moisture) in front of your dash. If you could buy the material and put it in a small sock it would lay across the dash, right above the steering column. I think it would attract enough of the moisture to keep it from going to the inside of your clock face.
I have wondered if this would work, seems like it would. I live in a desert, so I never had a chance to test my theory.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

I replaced my stupid noisy clock with a a/f gauge. It's brand new and it fogs just like the rest. I took my gauges apart recently to clean them and they aren't sealed. You could heat them up with a hair drier to get the moisture out, but I don't think you can prevent it.
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
DMECMAnderson

Post by DMECMAnderson »

I've got another CLOCK issue. My clock works fine. But as of yesterday the darn set knob just died. I can't feel the gear engaging with the system and I can't set my clock. A clock that's on the wrong time is no good!!!

Took it out, looks sealed. A new one at IAP is $230!!! Any suggestions on how to open it up for repar? Or a lower cost replacement alternative?
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022

Post by rlux4 »

To get to the inards is the same as replacing the clock face, very carefully pry the bezel off with a very small flat head screw driver. Once the bezel is off you should be able to take the nuts off the back and drop the mechanism out. I think you'll find it's not a difficult repair, probably the gear has shifted slightly. It wouldn't take much to loose contact. If you find it's more than you want to handle, I think you'd find a clock repair shop would not be a major expense.
Good luck.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
kilrwail
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Post by kilrwail »

Has anyone ever tried drilling a tiny hole in an inconspicuous place in the clock face, to prevent fogging? I would think it should work by equalizing the temperature and humidity inside and out.

1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider - original owner
1977 Porsche 911S - track car
2022 Ram 4 x 4 - hauler
PCA National Instructor and Motorsport Safety Foundation Level 2 Instructor
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022

Post by rlux4 »

Yes, Veglia did. The adjuster knob comes through a small hole in the clock face. It's a good theory Kilrwail, you're right, with equal temp and humidity on both sides of the glass condensation wouldn't happen. So the inside face must have a slightly higher temp, probably from the clock motor.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
alexGS

Post by alexGS »

If I had a clock I couldn't set, I'd just disconnect the battery - and reconnect at the right time ;)

All my gauges had a certain amount of 'permanent fog' inside, probably due to evaporation of oils from the mechanisms.

I cleaned all my glasses with soapy water and made a new lens for the clock - since the 'fog' of the clock lens is the plastic itself, in most cases I'm sure.

If you're getting water condensation, I think dessicant sachets inside the gauges would be the best bet. I haven't had that problem - the fog on mine was permanent and not related to temperature/humidity.
OrangeCrush

Post by OrangeCrush »

This http://www.rainx.com/Products/Windshiel ... i-Fog.aspx solved a fog related issue for me on another non-fiat restoration project.

Ray
alexGS

Post by alexGS »

Well I actually DROVE my Spider last night for the first time since cleaning/re-doing all my gauges - and you can guess what happened - all gauges except the clock and the revcounter fogged over! There was heavy condensation on the inside of the lenses. :oops:

So now I understand the fogging problem... it was bitterly cold last night, should probably have put the hood up. Apparently it was just 1 degree (celsius).

With the sun on the dash today, the condensation has disappeared, but I guess it will be back... the only wonderment is, why did the rev counter not fog over...

-Alex
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

Maybe you can unhook one of your defrost vents and aim it at the back of the gauge cluster?
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
Snoopy
Your car is a: 1980 CS0 2000 f.i. US [Build 1979]

Post by Snoopy »

Maybe your heater lose a little bit water an because of that its wet ?
CS0 2000 f.i. 79, Abarth 500C 595 2013, Ford C-MAX 1.0 Ecoboost 2015
sptcoupe
Your car is a: 1972 124 Sport Coupe

Post by sptcoupe »

I haven't tried this yet, but I have been told that if you coat the inside of the guage lenses with RainEx or some equivalent, it will prevent the fogging for a a good period of time - a year or two. Anyone tried this?