Tube Bumper Thoughts & Solutions?

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
Jazgeek

Re: Tube Bumper Thoughts & Solutions?

Post by Jazgeek »

here's what mine look like with gloss black powdercoat

speedracer

Post by speedracer »

Geat news guys!

I finally got those tube bumpers to move and they look great close into the body! To me it now looks every bit as good as the older style chrome bumpers because now the tubes look like they are part of the car, just like the older style was. They are no longer hanging a mile-and-a-half off the front and back.

It only took me 3 weeks or so, but they're done. It actually took a few days for the shocks in the front to completely drain all the way down, and once they were drained, they moved with just alittle persuasion from a sledge hammer. The back were a different story. They took alot of persuasion. One of them moved after alot of hitting with the sledge and WD 40, but the other one was frozen so bad, I disconnected the bumper from the shock and then hit the heck out of it. She finally went. What a relief!

I figure the car is now about 8lbs. lighter because of the fluid loss to! :lol:
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

Go Speedracer!! I'm glad you got em to move. A lot of perseverance,and liberal doses from the BFH :shock: got it done? I agree it changes the whole look of the car. Congrats!
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
pope

Post by pope »

Jim, how about pictures
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

pope wrote:Jim, how about pictures
Yeah, I'll be getting around to that soon. If I'm going to be on a forum like this then I'll have to get some pictures for sure!

Go speedracer - I like that Ga! :lol:
blanchardkeith

Post by blanchardkeith »

Where on the back shock tubes did you drill. I am only able to see the small section. The larger part is flush with the frame? The front ones look easy to get to the larger sec.
Thanks
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

blanchardkeith wrote:Where on the back shock tubes did you drill. I am only able to see the small section. The larger part is flush with the frame? The front ones look easy to get to the larger sec.
Thanks
Drilling into the small section of the shock should be good enough. Just drill at the bottom of the shock, because the fluid could still be under pressure, enough to take an eye out, but worse, the fluid could get on your paint! :lol:

If no fluid comes out, like the shocks on my rear bumper, then you might be in for some real banging to get the shock to move. Taking off the bumper is easy, so it might be just as well to do that so you could really bang on the shock itself with a big sledge.

Good luck!

PS - You can see pictures of my Spider here - http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5500
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

blanchardkeith wrote:Where on the back shock tubes did you drill. I am only able to see the small section. The larger part is flush with the frame? The front ones look easy to get to the larger sec.
Thanks
Drilling into the small section of the shock should be good enough. Just drill at the bottom of the shock, because the fluid could still be under pressure, enough to take an eye out, but worse, the fluid could get on your paint! :lol:

If no fluid comes out, like the shocks on my rear bumper, then you might be in for some real banging to get the shock to move. Taking off the bumper is easy, so it might be just as well to do that so you could really bang on the shock itself with a big sledge.

Good luck!

PS - You can see pictures of my Spider here - http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5500
ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder »

I drilled mine as far back as I could with the drill bit,and I got a shower of oil.I would suggest wearing some eye protection and keeping your mouth closed!I didnt and I still have the taste of 30W in my mouth :D I didnt have to beat mine in,but I did back against the corner of my garage and very slowly put pressure on them.They moved pretty easily.
Craig
Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !
pope

Post by pope »

I heard the Italians fill their bumper tubes with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
blanchardkeith

Post by blanchardkeith »

Thanks for the info on the drilling. So if you are only drilling through the small shaft, where are you putting the nut and bolt to keep it from sliding back out?
Thanks again for the info
Here is my little one!

ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder »

The car looks great! Mine are drilled into the larger part of the shock.Do they vary by year? Could be why speedracer had so much trouble moving his.I pinned mine with a large self-tapping screw.A nut / bolt would be a pain. I tried to get a pic,but photobucket wont let me copy/paste.I will try to post it later.I drilled right up against the rubber cover for the bumper shock.

Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

Actually, the front shocks I drilled in the small tube and I got a gusher of fluid. But in the rear I drilled several holes in both the small and the larger tubes sections and I got nothing at all. So I'm not sure it matters which tube you drill in. Funny thing though, one of the rear shocks let out all the fluid only when I began pounding on it with a sledge. The other one never let out a drop. Weird... :?

The shop manual I have doesn't cover this situation! :lol:

Nice looking spider Keith! Love the woodwork on the interior, very nice looking. Your spider is going to look great when you get the bumpers tucked in. I see your in NY. Whereabouts if I may ask?
blanchardkeith

Post by blanchardkeith »

Nope, Houston, tx! Thanks on the compliment.
Keith
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

blanchardkeith wrote:Nope, Houston, tx! Thanks on the compliment.
Keith
Doh! :oops:

I could have sworn those license plates in the background were NY plates...