Fuel Gauge Trouble

Gotta love that wiring . . .
velozi

Fuel Gauge Trouble

Post by velozi »

Hello,
I read a troubleshooting thread here but was not able to fix it. Here are some observations:

Needle moves to extreme empty when the key is turned. Car starts fine and tank is full.

Switched the wires in the sender: empty light comes on and the needle moves to the extreme empty.

Took both wires out and grounded each one: I get light on with one and emtpy needle with the other.

Tried another fuel gauge and get the same results. So it is some type of voltage issue but where do you suggest I start?

Thanks.
pope

Re: Fuel Gauge Trouble

Post by pope »

When you said you tried another fuel gauge, are you talking about the dash gauge or the fuel sender in the tank? Most likely it is the wires on the fuel sender unit in the tank that have shreaded and are giving false readings.
velozi

Post by velozi »

I tried a different dash fuel gauge, same results.

The fuel tank sender was replaced with a new one. Same results.
racydave

Post by racydave »

Check the continuity of the wires from the sender to the gauge. One of the wires are open circut. A OHM meter should work
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

check the wires on the back of the gauge, maybe they're reversed
velozi

Post by velozi »

Thanks for all the responses.

The back was all messed up. The plastic connection box was the same but the wires were all in the wrong spots. 30 minutes after following an infinite wirring diagram, the problem was fixed.

Found out that I got 3/4 of a tank! So let's go for a drive.