Bosch FI Connectors

Gotta love that wiring . . .
crafty
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Bosch FI Connectors

Post by crafty »

Dear All,

Whilst I had the head off doing the gasket I noticed that a few of my EFI connectors had become brittle (on the wiring harness).

I have purchased new ones but am having trouble removing the old connectors. I can see that there is a clip on the metal insert which clicks into a key slot once inserted into the plastic housing. I have tried various instruments to relieve the clip so the metal insert slides out. (I am not wanting to cut the old plugs off in their entirety as they are the perfect length)

Am I going about this the right way?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Glenn.
adrians
Your car is a: 1981 Spider Turbo - missing the turbo

Re: Bosch FI Connectors

Post by adrians »

Glenn,

Buy a pin extraction tool from Jaycar Electronics or Tandy ( aka Radio Shack ), you should be able to remove the pins and check the cable/wire and reinsert them into the new connector housing. Did you get new pins/chrome connectors with the plugs ?

Adrian
THE FLEET
2014 Abarth "SS"
1981 Spider 2000 (Legend Industries Turbo - minus the Turbo)
1978 X1/9 1.3 Dual IDF 40's, Coupe Cam, Allison Header/Exhaust
1971 128 Sedan 1100cc, Coupe Cam/Headers
Motokhana Special 127 rear engined Rail 903cc
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Glenn,
I use a very, very tiny screwdriver to release the catch if I am trying to remove the terminals. As was noted above, they do make tools specificly for this job.
Normally, however, I replace the connector and the terminals, you can buy them assembled with a few inches of wire out of the connectors. I get mine at CarQuest, don't remember the part##. THe terminals spread and corrode with age, and can make intermittent connection, and thus an intermittent miss. Change the whole mess and it will be like new.
Keith
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

if you're replacing the entire pigtail, get the BMW type. They have a spring clip that is very easy to release. I have those connectors in stock in case you're interested