No turn signals or back up lights

Gotta love that wiring . . .
tonyfromjersey

No turn signals or back up lights

Post by tonyfromjersey »

Hello all. Got her back from the body shop and looking great. One issue is that my blinkers and back up lights don't work, all others work fine, including the hazard lights. Probably a ground issue someplace? Anything in particular I should look for? I don't feel like driving it back up to the body shop 2 hours away if I don't need to.

I'll post pictures later in the week.
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Re: No turn signals or back up lights

Post by rlux4 »

Those are both on the same fuse. Here's the location from Brad Artigue's wiring diagram for the 77:

FUSE A (2/2) TURN SIGNALS, BACK UP LIGHTS, FASTEN BELTS INDICATOR AND RELAY,
E.G.R BYPASS CIRCUIT AND HANDBRAKE ON AND BRAKE FLUID LEVEL
WARNING CIRCUIT

Have you checked that fuse? Not only the fuse, but the fuse holder also. If you have the original type, I've seen these GBC fuses that looked fine to the naked eye, and not be good.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
tonyfromjersey

Post by tonyfromjersey »

Ron,

I'll check that one out tomorrow after work. Haven't had time to spend other than one test drive so far. Hopefully an easy fix like that.

Tony
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

casual observation indicates to me that nearly everyone fresh back from the paint shop complains about lights not working here or there... and the tail lights seem to be the #1 of those non-functioning lights.

check the grounds in the rear end...
tonyfromjersey

Post by tonyfromjersey »

Well, I found it. I was looking at fuses as per Ron's suggestion, and they all looked good. I started chasing wires around just to see if anything was disconnected and lo and behold the wires to the signal flasher were not all the way in (he did carpets as well after he fixed the holes in the floor). So I think that's taken care of that. Now on to the other issues at hand, timing belt and electronic ignition.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

yup, one step atta time.

similar to elephant eating.... one bite at a time. it can be done.

Tiz how i ressurected the Spitwad...
tonyfromjersey

Post by tonyfromjersey »

That's a great analogy...

A lot of my guys, who struggle to get in shape to pass their Air National Guard fitness test, ask me how I run marathons every year and I use the same one. I also tell them it's easy. Start at the beginning and run until you see the big sign that says "finish line"

Nothing to it.