led turnsignals

Gotta love that wiring . . .
pope

Re: led turnsignals

Post by pope »

Mike,
go to this page and scroll down about half way and look at Tail Light (blinker) Load Resistor kit. $5 for each side.
Its in inline resistor. I think that is what you want. Also look at the orange LED flasher unit just below the resistors.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... roduct=CAR
Last edited by pope on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tappy
Your car is a: 124 spider 2000 1979

Post by Tappy »

ah dumping the bumpers i've missed
for one led you need a 560 ohm resitor , but if you have more of them in series the resistor value will drop (it remains if you put them in paralel)

anyhow this would'nt affect the speed becouse the leds still use only a few Milliwatts , the only thing this does is drop voltage from 12v to 2 v

Most led turnsignals are already resitord to work on 12V so you probably dont need a resistor @all
might be a good idea to look for heavyer W for you backbulbs , that will have the same effect (if they exist , didn't look that one up yet)like 35W instead of 23 ?

i see no problems using the side markers as flaschers the wiring would be simple just split the wire from your front signals and connect it to the + of your sidemarkers the - goes to the chassis (might need a diode for that also if you want to use them for 2 functions, i dunno becouse mine are removed )

the 7" headlight i suggested above have a high-low halogen , and a seperate bulb you can use for your flasher (if you look closely you can see the bulb just above the halogen)

ah and i just found out on the parking lights , seems theres an extra bulb in the headlights as wel (like the one above) used for that if you want to use that bulb for flashing also you need to put a diode , but then you wont see any difference when your parking lights are on , or you can instal one of these Image they are called duplolamp in dutch dunno the name in englisch , its like 2 lamps in one like your breake lights (but you need to change the fitting on your headlight for that

ps: where did that spellingchecker go ? i liked it :)

edit : you can also add halo rings (angel eye's) to your headlichts and make them function as flashers like here :
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9061120203

but i would make a full circle of them
FineItalianAutomobile TechnologyImage

pls don't see what i write , read what i mean
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

Pope, great investigative work. those just might be the trick i am after.
Tappy
Your car is a: 124 spider 2000 1979

Post by Tappy »

pope wrote:Mike,
go to this page and scroll down about half way and look at Tail Light (blinker) Load Resistor kit. $5 for each side.
Its in inline resistor. I think that is what you want. Also look at the orange LED flasher unit just below the resistors.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... roduct=CAR

make sure if you want that orange flasher that it can carry the load of the bulbs in the back ! if you take the inline resistors you probably wont need it @ all
FineItalianAutomobile TechnologyImage

pls don't see what i write , read what i mean
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

the supplier Pope recommended has turned out to be very informative and helpful.
ROOK1

Post by ROOK1 »

I sent this to Mike but I figured I should get the opinion of someone who may have more vehicle wiring knowledge to tell me if this would work or not. So I am posting it up for your input. This is my idea to for a way to run park lights and turn signals on the same bulb but I have no working knowledge if it will work or not, just theory.

We will do this in two steps Park light line then Turn Signal line.

Take the Park Light hot wire and connect it to 87A and with a jumper connect 87A relay one to 85 on relay two. Now connect wire to terminal 30 on relay one going to the light bulb.

Now take the Turn Signal wire and connect to 85 on relay one and with a jumper connect to 87A on relay two. Take wire from terminal 30 of relay two and connect to the light bulb with terminal 30 of relay one.

Ground 86 on both relays.

Here is how it works. (I think)

Park Lights On

With the park lights on and no current from the turn signals, relay number one is in the "resting" state. The flow of current goes from 87A through internal switch and out 30 to the bulb. When the turn signal is on there is current/asignal sent to terminal 85 which opens the current for
the park lights turning them off intermittently giving you blinkers. On relay two the park signal has this relay in the "active" state breaking the current from the turn signal and not allowing it to go to the bulb.

Park Lights Off

When the park lights are off relay two is in the "resting" state which allows the turn signal current through the internal switch from 87A to 30 to the bulb. Since the Park lights are off there is no current flowing through relay one.

Chris