led turnsignals

Gotta love that wiring . . .
mbouse

led turnsignals

Post by mbouse »

If a guy wanted to change to led front turn signals and keep his traditional incandecent rear turn signals... he'd need two different signal flashers, one for the front and one for the rear because the flashers dunn work the same.

anyone have any idea what this wiring diagram would look like?

i'm thinking i'd have to abandon the stock feed lines from the flasher to the front corners and fish in new wires, or clip the leads to the front after the flasher...

but how does that affect the emergency flashers? can i still get the emergency circuit to work for just the rear lights... or am i up a creek without a paddle?

on a side note, has anyone successfully turned their side markers into marker lights & turn signals? if so, how?
Ernie
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat Spider

Re: led turnsignals

Post by Ernie »

Tappy
Your car is a: 124 spider 2000 1979

Post by Tappy »

He Mike

I've investigated this one before :) , if you keep your backflashers the same bulbs, you can just changeout the front ones by led bulbs , only they go slower if you put in ledbulps front and back you need a new flasher (that isnt load affected and can switch small currents) if you want i can digg up a lead on that one

if you dont like them goin slower you can also change to another flasherrelais that isnt load affected but heavy enoufh to carry the load from the backbulbs

read here also :http://www.fiatspider.com:16080/f08/vie ... als#p34841
FineItalianAutomobile TechnologyImage

pls don't see what i write , read what i mean
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

Ernie, that is a great article, but it does not do what i need. thanks just the same. i may try that in the rear.

Tappy is onto what i wanna do. i am shaving my front bumpers, which means the front turn signals are gonzo. using Mark's round turn signal kit is not an option for this design.

If i could just find an incandescent equivelant of this: http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/15610.html
i would be ecstatic.

so, Tappy, you say keep the existing flasher and just replace the front stock bulb with L.E.D. bulbs, and the signals will just flash slower? how much slower? is the flash rate still acceptable, or do they flash to slow to be recognized as turn signals?
Tappy

Post by Tappy »

i have no front bulbs and the back ones work perferctly , the led bulbs only draw a tiny current your will go faster then mine and its acceptable

i've seen that setup also like the chevy pickup , but i like these more : Image

and there cheaper , there a bulb in there that wil just draw the current you need to flash on normal speed and i like the angeleye setup of the lamp

http://images.google.be/imgres?imgurl=h ... %26hl%3Dnl

However in both systems i'm concerned that you wouldnd see much of those turnsignals if your headlight are on (and these are h4 so you probably nee the relais setup for your headlights )

therefore i'd like to add one of these :Image in my foglights since their induvidual led light i can easely hook them up on my turnsignalcircuit , then when flasched not only the headlamps indicate , but the halo's of the fog lights as well

http://www.auto-cruise.net/White-LED-An ... 16180.html

ROOK1

Post by ROOK1 »

mbouse

Post by mbouse »

THANKS, rook.

sent them an email to find out if the T-signal bulb is incandecent or L.E.D. will letcha know what they say.
ROOK1

Post by ROOK1 »

Mike,

This listing on ebay says it is a replaceable bulb. I also founs some with a clear turn signal lense. I think this is a great option for people wanting to remove their bumpers. (sorry Mark)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Tru ... ccessories
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I have some of those, the problem is that it's either a turn signal or a park light, not both. So you still need to add a lamp up front
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

tehnically, you are correct mark. technically, i will need the bumper i am shaving as well, and technically i should have the catalytic converter i ditched a few years back.

practically, i am driving with headlights 100% of the time,so a front marker light is practically useless.

and, here is the responsefrom Rook's source:

The headlights actually have one or the other.. The headlights that have the visible amber lens
Has the incandescent bulb.

The headlights that have a full 360 deg. Clear lens have a single LED

Thanks for your interest
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

Mike, I think what you'd want for this headlamp assembly is a circuit similar to some late-model GM vehicles. Both front turn signals are illuminated at all times, except when the headlights are ON. This is their version of daytime running lights. When you activate the turn indicator, both signals briefly extinguish, then the turning side lamp flashes in sync with the rear turn lamp, like normal cars. After the turn signal is cancelled, the system resets to daylight running lamps.

I don't know if these GM cars have an additional lower-wattage filament that is used as a parking lamp, activated manually or automatically when the headlamps are ON.

The problem with using any of these modern diagrams or flashers is the convoluted Fiat wiring system, which runs everything thru the hazzard flasher first. You could theoretically make any front lighting scheme, solid-state or incandescent, work with the Spider using a series of relays and diodes, but then you'd be the butt of all subsequent owners wrath!
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

actually Bernie, on the '80 there is no way i can see to create a secondary circuit without a second turn indicator (directional) switch. if someone knows of a way to do this, i am all ears.

that is why i am searching for an incandecent turn bulb. the LED bulbs are popular with the hot rod crowd, but that ain't Fiat wiring like you said.
Tappy

Post by Tappy »

I like these also , to mount up on (or under) the bumpers Image

http://br-custom.nl/shop/index.php?main ... ts_id=1790

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

OK Mike, I think I understand you.

It would seem that you could use the headlight/LED turn combo you want, with their item # FF552NL, an adjustable flasher. I'd e-mail them to confirm that this flasher is suitable for LED front, incandescent rear lamps. That's what most of these flashers are designed for.

It doesn't appear that this headlight offers any way to provide a parking lamp feature, but depending on your styling idea, you might be able to fit a parking lamp assembly elsewhere in the front.

Oh, and your question about flashing the side marker lamps in conjunction with the turn signals; sorry, no, can't be done without rewiring the whole circuit. Besides, that puny 2w lamp isn't bright enough to be seen anywhere but Keweenaw County on a February night!
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

Bernie,
i asked for clarification on their response. I am hoping to find an incandecent turn indicator within the 7" headlight; that will solve the flasher wiring issue.

Dave Nicholson is suggesting that a resistor added to the LED leads might fool the existing flasher to think an incandecent bulb exists; which would cause normal flash rates... but finding the right person to suggest the correct resistor is gonna be another task all together.

if i am successful, i will abandon the side marker/turn signal idea all together. that part of my original question was never a real good solution anyway.

Tappy, those are nice looking lights, but i am dumping the bumpers.. so no place to hang them.