body work - seamless

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
Joe Clemente

Post by Joe Clemente »

Aesthetics being a function of personal preference that they are means people are welcome do what they want to have whatever look they fancy. I seen some pretty distasteful things done to Spiders for the sake of personal appeal.
Though not an altogether distasteful mod, personally I would not waste time and effort to hide functional panel seams.
Additionally, seam welding for the purpose of strengthening the body is done on the inside surfaces not where the outer body panels come together. Welding the seams along the floor boards, tunnel and shock towers makes perfect sense but welding the outer panels together at the joining seams will just cause headaches next time you ever have to do body repairs.
emlo

Post by emlo »

Joe,
That is perfectly true, but I suppose the FIAT ABARTH racing team didn't have to bother much about future body work.
In addition, when I visited Guy Moerenout's garage in Belgum I had the rare opportunity of looking at a number of 124 Abarths, and the cars that were original factory racers did have the seam I mentioned previously welded up -from the outside (maybe the inside as well, I didn't look). Maybe unconventional, I don't know, but that's the way it was done.
Regards,
Emil
Joe Clemente

Post by Joe Clemente »

emlo wrote:Joe,
That is perfectly true, but I suppose the FIAT ABARTH racing team didn't have to bother much about future body work.
Good point Emil. Rally cars don't need the consideration of future body repair. I'm sure the original Abarth rally team had its purpose for the welding they did. As for Moerenout, well, his business lives or dies by the quality and authenticity he can provide. From what I've seen, his replica stuff is exceptional in both respects.

However, my point about seam welding was not in reference to race or rally applications or to fanatical replications where practicality may well be secondary. I just think that if you use your Spider on the street, welding the outer seams for the sake of obtaining a certain look is a needless and impractical mod. But that is just my opinion. If it makes the owner happy to do so... knock yourself out... :)

Regards,

Joe
nickfury

fill seams

Post by nickfury »

I felt one time that i would like to fill the seams on my 81, I was 18 and lazy so i dident do it thank fully, vut if i was to do this mod i would use a 24 hour cold cure epoxy they use it for boat keels and is designed to flex, I do buy epoxy for my shop fom switzerland it is very expensive but you can take a hardned stick and bend it quite a ways befor it chips or cracks
here is a link were you can get it
http://www.ski-service.com/shop/prd_lis ... +Materials
I do know they have a wearhouse in the Bosten area.
Dave
emlo

Post by emlo »

Joe,
I agree completely, and I'd never do it to a street car either.
Best regards,
Emil