led indicators

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Tappy
Your car is a: 124 spider 2000 1979

led indicators

Post by Tappy »

I know there been some topics on led lightning , aldo i did a search i still remain with my question

I want to slide in some leds into my fog lights so they also can function as turnsignals. I believe the flasher relais needs a certan current to work properly.Right now only the back flash lights are connected. the side markers are removed bye a po

Can someone tell me howmuch current the relais needs , It should be a simpel ad up of al the inserted bulps wattage i believe ? (2 in the back , 2 on the side , 2 in front?) then i can calculate (or find someone smarter then me to do it) wich resitor i need to use to power the new leds and let the relais work properly

any sugestions or experiences ? pls feel free to share them

thx
FineItalianAutomobile TechnologyImage

pls don't see what i write , read what i mean
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: led indicators

Post by baltobernie »

The amount of current required to energize the coil of an automotive-type relay is very small ... tenths of an ampere.

But if you are going to load the car's thermal flasher anyway with the four bulbs already in use, you should be able to add the LEDs without additional relays. Just make sure the LED you choose is equipped with a voltage-dropping resistor; that is, make sure the LED fixture is rated to accept 12 VDC input. Depending on how much current the LED assemblies draw, you may have to upgrade you car's flasher to a "heavy duty" type, but try the circuit with your existing flasher first.
ROOK1

Post by ROOK1 »

Why not go with a headlight similar to this one that has an integrated secondary bulb. I have these on my Jeep and the small secondary bulb would make a pretty neat turn signal. You would just need to change the bulb to amber rather than the blue that comes with it. Plus you are now upgraded to the H4 replacement. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-ROUND- ... ccessories
Tappy

Post by Tappy »

sigh, typed twice an answer and my provider messed it up twice bye sending me a volume reminder :evil:

it looks simular like i wanted to do to the foglights , becouse i barely use them and i 'm not sure how visble this would be integrated in the headlights when they are turned on ?

Also , i might do them both and while at it make a headlight h4 relais switched conversion at once , i found an upgrade in a electronical flasher unit that would fit in the place of the thermal flasher unit .

meanwile surfing i came across this article , and i'm intrigued bye the 80 amp drop to 10A , + brigter illumination :

http://italiancar.meetup.com/46/boards/thread/5653334/

racydave

Post by racydave »

LED lights are a low amp draw, so adding any should not require upgrading the wiring, just a special flasher.
Tappy

Post by Tappy »

racydave wrote:LED lights are a low amp draw, so adding any should not require upgrading the wiring, just a special flasher.
Yes i had something like this in mind http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/2- ... ashers.htm it switches powers from 0.1-30Amp so i can mix the lights if i want (leds in front , bulbs in the back)

keep ya guys opdated

racydave

Post by racydave »

Tap, I dont think that flasher is good enough for the filament bulbs at 30 Watts. And you will probably need two (one for either side.)
Tappy

Post by Tappy »

racydave wrote:Tap, I dont think that flasher is good enough for the filament bulbs at 30 Watts. And you will probably need two (one for either side.)
dave : can you point me out to a better replacement flasher then ?
howmuch amp do the bulps draw then now ?

danaspider
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000 79 vw bus

Post by danaspider »

The LEDs pull 10 times less current than a regular bulb. The turn flasher is designed to sence the current of all turn bulbs working. Hence the reason it stops flashing when a bulb is burned out. The load resistor is the key. Most of the LED vendors have the resistor that clamps onto the wiring to help resolve the low load issue. I tried this on my old VW bus but was never real happy with the operation. So luck in trying it out.
Luck Dana

79 Spider 2000
carb
It all about the romace of the car and owner
Tappy

Post by Tappy »

danaspider wrote:The LEDs pull 10 times less current than a regular bulb. The turn flasher is designed to sence the current of all turn bulbs working. Hence the reason it stops flashing when a bulb is burned out. The load resistor is the key. Most of the LED vendors have the resistor that clamps onto the wiring to help resolve the low load issue. I tried this on my old VW bus but was never real happy with the operation. So luck in trying it out.

ok i'm getting confused right now , What i want to know wich flasher i buy best For now i want it to be able to switch the bulps in the taillights , probably also 2 minor 3-5w lamps in the headlights , and 2-4 leds in the foglights

In the future i might switch to all leds instead of bulbs

My guess is that i need a electronic flasher that also can switch low currents (future) but can work also under heavy load (back bulbs)

anyone done electronics in shool ? pls help me out here
thx

Tappy

Post by Tappy »

this might be an solution :http://www.instructables.com/id/Automot ... fication./

but i'm still not sure wich flasher to use that still can carry heavy loads of the backflashers , it might be easyer to replace the back bulbs right away with led bulbs ....

racydave

Post by racydave »

Once you figgure it all out, youll be the Man! All hail Tappy!
TVST*R

Post by TVST*R »

I use baby halogens in my front turn/running lights....I keep them on during the day as they are very bright...(the bulbs are hard to find though).
I experimented with the LED..but found they were not near the brightness of the halogen.