Broken studs on anti-sway bar support

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
stupidsongs2

Broken studs on anti-sway bar support

Post by stupidsongs2 »

I broke off both the studs on the passenger side, inner support.

Suggestions to getting back on the road as quickly as possible?
ventura ace

Re: Broken studs on anti-sway bar support

Post by ventura ace »

I would never know, but Denise tells me that you can drill them out and put in a grade 8 bolt. And if you drill out to one size larger, you can put in a larger bolt, which you really need on the larger diameter sway bar like she has on her spider.

Alvon
stupidsongs2

Post by stupidsongs2 »

Can it be driven without the sway bar? My girlfriend needs to get to work tomorrow and the bus is broken down too. Nothing highway speed and it's only about 3 miles each way.
ventura ace

Post by ventura ace »

I don't see why not. Just don't get crazy with it. Drive like your granny, especially when it comes to turns.

Alvon
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Alvon, he's talking about the inner support. I believe it's welded on, unlike the ends that we did on my car. As for driving it without the sway bar, I didn't feel any difference driving in town.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
ventura ace

Post by ventura ace »

Thanks for the correction, D.
I haven't had to deal with the inner ones, but I think I would take the old stud down flush to the frame, and then attempt to drill it out and thread the hole to accept a bolt. I don't know how thick the unibody frame is in that area, but if it is thick enough, this should hold fine. If not, you may have to cut a hole in the frame to allow putting a nut on the back side, or put a bolt in from the back side.

Alvon
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

If it is the same as the 82 ,you will have to thread the hole as the frame is 'boxed and there isnt anyway to put a bolt thru. I broke 1 of mine and temporarily drilled another hole and put a large self tapping screw in. Drove it for a couple weeks before drilling out the stud,threading,and installing a bolt.Careful if you are driving w/o sway bar. I jury rigged mine because there are no straight roads up here!
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
stupidsongs2

Post by stupidsongs2 »

Well, both the studs have about a half inch left on them.

What my plan for now is:

Get two 8mm threaded extenders and snug them down on the remains of the studs
Drill out the support brackets so they'll fit over the new extenders (they are about 13mm wide instead of 8mm)
Install with bolts that screw into the extenders, and spacers that go over the extenders so tightening the bolts puts pressure on the brackets

I figure at worst this method will leave me with two worthless support brackets, and the studs broken off so I can drill them
out easier
apexwc

Post by apexwc »

Would this work if you replaced the slotted screw with a hex head? Once the threaded portion is installed it stays in place if you remove the bolt. I don't know how thick the frame is but this might be a little stronger than just drilling and tapping the hole.