replacement wiper motor

General chat about the car goes in here.
Baz
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider

replacement wiper motor

Post by Baz »

Lames Seabolt (Mirrafiori.com) Fiat electrical restoration, notes that he has finally found a replacement for the crappy Marelli wiper motor. Unable to access that information, anyone know what he was referring to ?
I have lubed the wiper arm mechanism, and it still struggles on intermittent and I still cant get the regular wipe position to work.
is there a way to pass the timed function and just have the full on cycle ? I wont be able to get a roadworthy without wipers. It seems that the Marelli unit is not strong enough for the job, or it is not getting enough voltage.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: replacement wiper motor

Post by spider2081 »

First I would test the existing Wiper motor at the motor connector for operation. Remove the cowl with the wiper motor and blades attached. Flip it upside down to access the the motor connector and linkage. Unplug the motor. Using a test light, confirm the Light blue/black wire has power on it when the ignition key is in the "run" position. Disconnect the short linkage bar from the driver side linkage mast that passes through the cowl and has the blade attached on the top of the cowl. This frees the motor from the linkage. Jump this light blue/black wire to the light blue wire and the motor should operate in the slow speed. Disconnect the jumper and reconnect the light blue/black wire to the gray wire and the wiper motor should operate in the "fast" speed. This tests the motor operation. Most often the wiper issues are friction inside the mast that passes through the cowl. The movable part inside both masts has to move effortlessly for the wipers to work. Any friction in either mast can be more than what the motor can overcome. I like to drill both pot metal castings about where the threads end with a 1/8" bit to form a lubrication hole. Then I spray penetrating oil in to free the the inner shaft. Once the linkage is totally free the motor linkage can be reconnected.
If your motor does not operate in the continuous position it most likely is a defective steering column switch or wiring issue.
Baz

Post by Baz »

Thanks Spider 2081,
I have dismantled the wiper motor, linkage etc, and found that the linkage moves quite well and the motor turns on the delay cycle only.
I have checked the wiring loom as much as I can, bitten the bullet and ordered a new column switch.
I wonder has anyone done this switch change out before ? How are the two sets of wires connected to the switch ? Soldered? connectors?

It seems my switch comes as switch only....no wiring. It would be easier to connect existing wires into new switch, than pull out connectors
deep in the loom. Anyway I feel like my hole is getting deeper....
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

The only replacement column switches I have seen came wired with the 2 connectors on them. Just one single wire that has the correct terminal on its end. Most often the turn signal, hi/lo beam or the horn contacts fail. I don't recall a seeing a wiper switch problem. I think a 1977 Spider would have a fast/slow speed switch in the center and they fail also. This is the first time I have heard of the wipers working in the intermittent function but not the constant run function.
Are you sure someone has not messed with the cars wiring.
When you say the linkage moves quite freely, does this includes the masts that pass through the cowl? its the center portion of the masts that has the biggest problem with friction and binding.
Baz

Post by Baz »

Thanks 2081, you are keeping me sane ! The entire linkage including the wiper arm posts are vey free and easy. I found an old single wiper switch in the loom, so someone has messed around. The only wire I can detect on the dash side of the loom that connects to the motor carrying 12v is a yellow one. I think I should have the motor check and a new switch is on the way, but I suspect it won’t have the harness attached….anyway , time will tell. The wires coming out of the current switch must be original, so there’s that . I will advise further. You have been very generous….thank you….
Baz

Post by Baz »

I have has the wiper motor checked and it is ok, only the switch left. Got a new one to fit….anyone ever done this ? Seems that one of the harness on the new switch has 9 wires where the old one has 7. The other harness has 10 wises as does the old one. Any ideas ?
Cheers
Baz
Baz

Post by Baz »

Anyway….connected the new switch to existing loom…got turn signals, but no wiper …oh well….thank you all…