Ignition Wiring?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
kirkpatrick29
Your car is a: 1974 Spider 124

Ignition Wiring?

Post by kirkpatrick29 »

This is my first Fiat.

My 1974 was running fine. I stopped at the gas station, and when I went to turn it back on it was dead. The starter didn't engage, no noise. I returned the ignition to the "off" position and it turned over a few times. I pulled the choke, thumped the throttle knob, and after a few cycles it turned over and started. I drove for about 20 mins and it started to feel like it was running rich. Low power, backfiring on the downshift and deceleration. I was able to make it home and as I was pulling into the driveway, the car died entirely. I tried to turn the ignition and same deal as at the gas station--the starter didn't engage, no noise. When I jostled the wires around the ignition, the radio would turn on. I'd try to turn the car over with the key, the radio goes out. I wiggle some wires, radio goes back on, I try to turn it over and the radio goes off. This happens over and over. Finally I pushed it down the hill of my driveway and the car jumpstarted just fine and idled well. I'm assuming it's the wiring. Any insights would be really appreciated.