Blower?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Emersonfiat1977
Patron 2023
Patron 2023
Your car is a: 1977 fiat 124

Blower?

Post by Emersonfiat1977 »

I was working in tracking.down a couple of wires and accidentally turned on the blower.

Lord knows it was.working.
Loudest most horrible noises.

Looked under passengerside dash where I assume most are located.

Nothing, can't find image or video online.

Sounds like might be coming from middle of dash.

Is this a pain to replace?

Thank you
Erich
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Blower?

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Yes, the heater blower motor is in the center of the dash, right behind the center console where the radio would be. It's not terribly hard to remove the blower motor assembly:

Remove the center console. This has two screws (often missing) on each side at the bottom that attach it to the lower center console that extends past the seats. The center console should then slide forward. Put the transmission in 2nd or 4th so that you can pull the console back farther.

The blower motor housing is a black plastic "box" with a flap at the bottom, sitting right above the transmission tunnel. It has 4 nuts securing it to the upper housing, and the heater core (with coolant) sits between. The motor is in the lower housing, and you might be able to remove it without totally removing the housing which requires unhooking one of the ventilation control cables. The motor has three wires as I recall: black, red and blue, so those have to be disconnected.

You might find what the source of the noise is without removing the motor, or the housing. If you can spin the fan blades by hand, see if it's hitting something like leaves stuck up there, a dead mouse, whatever. If the blades seem free but turn roughly, the bearings in the motor are likely bad. For that, you'd need to remove the motor and replace.

-Bryan
Emersonfiat1977
Patron 2023
Patron 2023
Your car is a: 1977 fiat 124

Re: Blower?

Post by Emersonfiat1977 »

Thank you