Tie rods and alignment

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
Mheinle
Your car is a: 1980 spider

Tie rods and alignment

Post by Mheinle »

Hey all,
I am replacing my tie rods and center linkage along with my control arms and all of that fun. In removing the tie rods, I watched several videos saying to count the turns it takes to remove the tie rods so when you put them back on the alignment is close then can be fine tuned when everything is together. I did this and the turn count is high 30's low 40's on all ends. what I am struggling with is this is pretty much or straight up is bottoming out the tie rods, which will not leave much room for adjustments when doing the alignment. Does any one have any advise on the right amount to thread? I feel like the tie rods may have been in too far to start. Also, should an anti-seize be used when re-installing? Mine were rusted in place pretty good, they came out after a few days of soaking them in PB blaster but I don't want that to always occur.

Thanks all!
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Re: Tie rods and alignment

Post by geospider »

may be too late...but, I measure between centers of tie rod ends and make sure are the same as what I removed: very close , but alignment still advised. can get tie rod centered in sleeves easily.

geo
Mheinle
Your car is a: 1980 spider

Post by Mheinle »

Thanks for the reply. I did get it all figured out and I now know why there were no answers. My question was terrible. I forgot that the threads are opposite on each end so when twisting one way the whole assembly gets longer or shorter. I appreciate no one making me feel like a bone head when it was a bone head question.
Funcar
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider 124

Post by Funcar »

I put some anti seize on them. Right nor wrong it just made sense to me to make adjusting them easier or years later for replacing the ends. I agree with doing the measurement as opposed to counting how many turns to get off. I like to see about equal threads on either end.
Glen
Kitchener ON Canada
73 Fiat Spider 124