Underhood relays on a '75

Gotta love that wiring . . .
EMurray
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 125 Spider

Underhood relays on a '75

Post by EMurray »

I'm in the process of a complete revamp of the engine bay on my '75. As a part of it, I'd like to clean up anything that's not needed and move the parts that are still needed to more "visually pleasing" locations (aka, hide the ugliest parts). The problem is that I can't find a wiring diagram to help me know which parts are which. I have 3 questions:

1. Is there a good place to get a wiring diagram? I've searched extensively and found diagrams for different years, but they all warn that every year is unique.
2. Can anybody help me with what the relays are for? I think some (most?) are for emissions stuff, which is long gone from the car.
3. I'm also going to an AR 95 amp alternator, so I shouldn't need the big voltage regulator, correct?

I'm planning to do a moderately extensive wire tuck and hide (along with smoothing the inner fenders, polishing every piece of aluminum under the hood, and switching to polished aluminum tanks for washer fluid and coolant overflow). Anybody done this or have tips?

Thanks,
Eric
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Underhood relays on a '75

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

If you send me a PM with your email address, I can send some pdf files of the diagram for a '75 spider. Midwest also sells a dedicated manual for the '75-'76 wiring diagram at:
https://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fiat-12 ... 6-new.aspx

I believe AutoRicambi sells one as well.

These manuals show the locations for the various relays, and yes, most of yours were probably emission related but some are for the charging indicator light, horn relay, fan relay, etc. You don't want to remove those.

I don't have any tips on cleaning up an engine bay, but if you're getting rid of the bracket around the brake fluid reservoir, I could use one of those and would give you something for it.

-Bryan