Center brake hose question

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
Mheinle
Your car is a: 1980 spider

Center brake hose question

Post by Mheinle »

Hi All,
I have gone through and replaced my entire brake system. The center hose came with a copper washer which I put in, but the line does not screw into the T far enough to crush the copper washer. It has about a 1/4 inch gap. the line is in super tight and feels like it is bottoming out, but there is a minor leak..very minor, almost non existent.. Does anyone have thoughts about this? I am on the original T because the new one I order was faulty and fell apart when I installed it. I could try cranking down harder to tighten the line but I do not want to strip the T.

Appreciate any help on this..
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Center brake hose question

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Mark, the center hose uses a "swaged" connection to the T-connection on the rear axle. I've never seen a copper washer there. Maybe some other cars use this same center hose and they do use a copper washer? But the spiders shouldn't have a washer.

I think the only thing to do is to try tightening it some more. It shouldn't be insanely tight, but this T-connection is pretty tight. Your T-connection might be damaged, admittedly.

-Bryan
Mheinle

Post by Mheinle »

Hi Bryan,
Agreed, on all accounts. The copper washer that was shipped was not needed. I might try to tighten the T connection further, but I fear the old one might be damaged. The new one I bought from Vic's was garbage, it stripped out with very little torque on it and actually fell apart. Any thoughts on a good alternative for purchasing a replacement? I don't want to risk buying another T and getting a cheap replacement...brakes are sort of important...sort of.
Mheinle

Post by Mheinle »

I added even more torque to the tee, I think the leak has stopped. It is really hard to tell because the amount is so minor, I have to dry the fitting off completely, stomp on the break a while, give it some time to seep then check for moisture. I did the process this morning and came up dry but I will check later today to see what I get. Either way I ordered another Tee from Midwest-bayless.com incase I need it. Best part is I get to bleed the brakes again since I had the leak there is definitely air back in the system....Boy do I love brakes.