Alternator diode draining battery?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
MrToon
Your car is a: 1978 CS1

Alternator diode draining battery?

Post by MrToon »

I measured about 2Amps drain on my battery and have pulled every fuse, relay, spade connector etc. (no interior yet so easy enough)
I disconnected the wires on the alternator B+ stud and temporarily connected them with a bolt. This solved the problem. Took the Marelli 55A alternator with internal regulator apart to check the 6 diodes individually. They were all good at 0.480V so now I'm kinda stuck. I haven't found a lot of info on the Marelli alternator here or on other forums, so if anyone can chime in, please do!

When connecting the green wire for the rotor exciter current, I suddenly measure a path from B+ to B-. It's not there when that wire is not connected. Are there additional diodes somewhere that might be blown or does some sort of short cause this, or is it just normal?

spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Alternator diode draining battery?

Post by spider2081 »

I have little to no experience with these alternators.
I wonder if the voltage regulator module could have failed internally providing the path for the current draw. Can you remove the electrical connection of the voltage regulator and see the the current drain is still there?