Storage pockets

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
rodo
Your car is a: 1981 Spider

Storage pockets

Post by rodo »

Anyone else have an issue with warped pockets? One of mine is just out of wack enough so it does not fit tight against the fenderwall, right at the bottom. (The other, same age, is just right.) Anyone experimented with trying to, say, warm it up and bend it back? Any joy?
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Storage pockets

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Warped Pockets? That would be a cool name for a rock band!

I haven't experimented with those footwell map pockets, but I have reshaped the triangular covers on the sides of the rear seat, the ones that cover the convertible top mechanism. The key is very gentle heat, spread out over a large area. A heat gun might even be too concentrated, but you can use one if you wave it around, take your time, and don't put too much heat in any one area. Maybe a hair dryer.

Similar to this, I have reshaped the center console bezel, the one with the warning lights. Again, very gentle heat, go slowly, putting even pressure on the part.

-Bryan
rodo

Post by rodo »

Live in concert, Warped Pockets and their warm up band, Brown Ground Wire!

Thanks, Bryan. I'll give it a gently warming shot.
rodo

Post by rodo »

So, put a heavy book on one side, a heavy book on the other, and left some room in the middle for a very warm hair drier. I warmed the plastic until it was too hot to touch. Did the trick. Moved it about 1/4 inch, just right.

Still want to hear them in concert.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Awesome, Rodo!
rodo wrote:Still want to hear them in concert.
I hear the Warped Pockets are working on a Fall 2023 tour, along with the Cold Start Injectors. Should be an awesome concert!

-Bryan