Dashboard bulbs to LED

Gotta love that wiring . . .
DutchSpider
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat spider 2000 inj

Dashboard bulbs to LED

Post by DutchSpider »

Hi,

Is it a good idea to change the dashboard bulbs to LED ? Dont you lose the dim function ? im wondering if its then really bright !

Regs
Shaun
Anbele
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000 CS2

Re: Dashboard bulbs to LED

Post by Anbele »

Changing them to LEDs will make BIG difference, considering that they were really poor to begin with. You can change all of them, including the warning lights. But you have to be careful with the “battery” one. Making it LED will give you a false reading…not recalling exactly why now but I do remember this from doing mine.
You also might want to change all of the side marker ones to LED bulbs. If you do choose to also change your turn signals to LED, then you must exchange the flasher to one that will support LEDs. And definitely add a relay kit to the headlights. THIS will make the biggest difference in your road illumination.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Anbele wrote:But you have to be careful with the “battery” one. Making it LED will give you a false reading…not recalling exactly why now but I do remember this from doing mine.
The issue with replacing the battery/alternator warning light with an LED is that LEDs draw very little current, and the current flow of a normal (incandescent) bulb is required for the alternator to charge properly. Putting an LED in this warning light will render your alternator inoperative.

There are work-arounds, but the easiest one is to leave this particular warning light as a regular bulb.

-Bryan
DutchSpider

Post by DutchSpider »

Ok clear , so all dashlights to led, except battery.

What about the low fuel ?

And do you have a part number for led flasher relay ?

As for the headlamps I had to replace the sealed units versions for European ones where the bulbs are exchangeable. What would the headlamp relay kit provide please ?
Anbele
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000 CS2

Post by Anbele »

Well, unless the headlight relay harness install has been done by PO, you should be getting very weak headlight illumination. Apparently the factory wiring wasn’t done properly to maximize light output. The relay kit bypasses and isolates the factory wiring to maximize lighting output. If you think yours look adequate, then you probably have the harness already. But to check this, you should see two relays on the driver’s side of the car, fender/engine bay. Most likely above the charcoal canister. Otherwise, the vendors usually mentioned in this site sell this relay harness ready to install. As they do with a harness for the windshield wipers. But I have not gone that route as of yet…my “bambina” doesn’t get exposed to rain unless I get caught in it.
Regarding the low fuel bulb…I don’t recall if I install one there. Sorry.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

DutchSpider wrote:What about the low fuel ?
The low fuel light circuit is just a simple switch on the tank sending unit that provides the ground side to the bulb when the fuel level drops below a certain point. So, the bulb can be LED. The stock bulb was 12 volts and 3 watts, so if your replacement LED is 12V and provides the same light output as a 3W incandescent bulb, you should be fine.

-Bryan
markintheair
Your car is a: Fiat 124 Spider 81 FI - Corsa Rosso

Post by markintheair »

Hi DutchSpider,

Did you got around to changing the bulbs yet? I'm currently nearing completion on my full restoration and this is an upgrade that I'm considering. Curious to hear you experience and if you could share some pics/video that'd be great!
Only the fool looks at a finger that points at the sky.
'81 FI Spider 2000
dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 spider

Post by dinghyguy »

I have done three spider dashes with LEDs (except for the battery bulb) and it makes a world of difference. One thing i also did was make all the sockets the same for the same size bulbs. To do that i cannibalized some dead fiat instruments or wiring harnesses. I did that just to make things a bit simpler, but you don't need to do that as long as you get the right number of bulbs of the right size.
I strongly suggest you get LEDs that are bi directional (with a small circuit in the base) so you don't have the make sure you get the polarity right, you can just plug them in.

I did not change the flasher even though i did change the taillight bulbs to LEDs as well and things seem to work fine (I didn't do the front turn signals yet)

The headlight relay and wiper relay kits make a huge difference. I also did the ignition switch kit to take the load off that switch.
cheers
dinghyguy with too many spiders
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1972 blue Volvo 1800ES "Bob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger
Wolfman2332
Your car is a: 84 black fiat 124 spyder

Post by Wolfman2332 »

Do you have a list and source for the replacement LED bulbs? It sounds like a nice weekend project. That will enhance safety and reliability.
Black '84 w/tan top
markintheair
Your car is a: Fiat 124 Spider 81 FI - Corsa Rosso

Post by markintheair »

I've changed all interior bulbs & side markers with LED and boy it makes a huge difference! Nice and bright. I've ordered a pair of H4 LED headlights & bulbs for the tail lights as well that should arrive in a couple of days. I'll post my findings here when they're installed and I'll try to snap a couple of pictures too.
Only the fool looks at a finger that points at the sky.
'81 FI Spider 2000
DutchSpider

Post by DutchSpider »

markintheair wrote:Hi DutchSpider,

Did you got around to changing the bulbs yet? I'm currently nearing completion on my full restoration and this is an upgrade that I'm considering. Curious to hear you experience and if you could share some pics/video that'd be great!
Sorry I never got down to responding , I had actually in the meantime stripped the car and sent her for a new coat of paint. I found it pretty easy to remove the dash and also stripped the clocks and cleaned them. I had the dash reskinned along with the entire interior. To be honest I completely forgot about the leds. Now I'm on it. I'll order them today and sort it out. I also ordered the chrome rings and some other stuff so I'm sure to post pics. The dash clocks come out easy . 4 chrome screws and the speedo cable. I advise marking the fittings with numbers. The clocks have standard plastic press in cable fittings. I simply numbered them with a perm marker. I find it easier than floppy bits of tape.
How is your restoration coming ? Mine comes back from the paint shop this week.
Again sorry for thr late reply.
Shaun