touch screen radio with back up camera, anyone install one yet

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
tonys1980124
Your car is a: 1980fiat spider 2000

touch screen radio with back up camera, anyone install one yet

Post by tonys1980124 »

if so can you post a pic. how does it look, where did you mount the camera? any issues with the install
scrapironchef
Your car is a: 79 Spider

Re: touch screen radio with back up camera, anyone install one yet

Post by scrapironchef »

I've done it in other vehicles, but I don't know of a single DIN unit that would install in a Fiat with a screen worth using.
GabbyMikka
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spyder

Post by GabbyMikka »

Tony!

I'm preparing to put a Pioneer DMH-C5500NEX modular radio on my Spider. The screen is going on the dash where the wiper control and dimmer switch are now, moving down to where a radio would typically mount. I have a backing plate being printed to relocate the controls. After that, I'll need to remove the metal plate on the dash and fabric a new one to match the screen's mounting points.

The radio control itself is either going in the glove box or down where the speaker would mount for a 1974ish Spider upper centre console.

The last step will be trimming the dash and glovebox door to fit the screen.

Radio
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DMC550 ... 00NEX.html
markintheair
Your car is a: Fiat 124 Spider 81 FI - Corsa Rosso

Post by markintheair »

GabbyMikka wrote:Tony!

I'm preparing to put a Pioneer DMH-C5500NEX modular radio on my Spider. The screen is going on the dash where the wiper control and dimmer switch are now, moving down to where a radio would typically mount. I have a backing plate being printed to relocate the controls. After that, I'll need to remove the metal plate on the dash and fabric a new one to match the screen's mounting points.

The radio control itself is either going in the glove box or down where the speaker would mount for a 1974ish Spider upper centre console.

Radio
This is an awesome upgrade, I want to do this as well. Posting here to follow you!
Only the fool looks at a finger that points at the sky.
'81 FI Spider 2000
GreyDR
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Post by GreyDR »

GabbyMikka wrote:Tony!

Radio
We'll check it out when we work on my uncle's Spider. Interior mods will be next after installing the brake pads and tires from 4Wheelonline this week.
Wolfman2332
Your car is a: 84 black fiat 124 spyder

Post by Wolfman2332 »

I could not figure out how to fit one into the angle space available. So I considered what I wanted it for, and that wa basically blue tooth from my phone. all other functions, navigation, etc I want from my phone. SO I got the following on AMazon:

Order detailsOrdered on June 14, 2023 (3 items)
KENWOOD KMM-BT332U Bluetooth Single DIN Car Stereo with USB Port, AM/FM Radio, MP3 Player, Multi Color LCD, Detachable Face, Built in Amazon Alexa, Co

sound is great, links to phone, and it is all good. Blue tooth is fine, and nav-screen on phone is fine. Don't do radio, and Spotify has so much I'll never run out of stuff to listen to.
Black '84 w/tan top
Wolfman2332
Your car is a: 84 black fiat 124 spyder

Post by Wolfman2332 »

I also got a dashboard hanging mount that charges the phone wirelessly to hold it in position. I have no idea where I got that, but it keeps the phone is position to been seen while driving. Here it is! Amazon of course.

Nalwort Wireless Car Charger 15W Qi Fast Charge with Metal Frame Dashboard and Air Vent Phone Holder Auto Clamping Wireless Car Charger Mount Compatible for iPhone 14/13/12, Samsung
Black '84 w/tan top
DarrinG
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1971 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Post by DarrinG »

What if you changed the dash to the Pininfarina 83-85 year model, and cut out where the vents and clock go, would that give you more space for a proper sized unit?
Darrin G

1971 Fiat 124 Sport Spider
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I installed a 5x7 GPS in the center dash. I made a thin wood box that sort of copies the 83-85 center. It not only holds the GPS but somewhat acts as a glare shield from the sun. I don't know how to post photos since photo bucket canceled my account.
DarrinG
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1971 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Post by DarrinG »

Excellent idea. The glare was my biggest concern. I use imgur to upload my photos. https://imgur.com

Thanks.
Darrin G

1971 Fiat 124 Sport Spider
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring