Are metal clips on rear brake pads necessary?

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
RoadRacer

Are metal clips on rear brake pads necessary?

Post by RoadRacer »

Are metal clips on rear brake pads necessary? I bought and installed a new left rear caliper. The caliper came with all the hardware installed, but no metal clips?? Do I need them? What do they do, where exactly do they go?
So Cal Mark

Re: Are metal clips on rear brake pads necessary?

Post by So Cal Mark »

they prevent pad squeal when stopping. Without them you will also get a "click" when applying the brakes since the pads will move around in the bracket. You have a potential for wear on the brackets since the pads will be constantly moving around
RoadRacer

Post by RoadRacer »

How do I install them? where exactly do they go?
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

there are two differnt styles; one goes on the end of the pad, the other goes underneath the pad
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

RoadRacer

Post by RoadRacer »

Those look like long metal clips.... The ones I have on my 82 are only about 1/2 inch wide. Some how it attaches to the pad at the very top part of pad and caliper. Behind the pad I do not have the large metal clips, the pads come with a thin rubber backing.

These are the clips that i am talking about..........
http://store01.prostores.com/midwest124 ... 0_6692.JPG
RoadRacer

Post by RoadRacer »

After staring at the clips and assembled rear brakes for a hour........ I believe these might be to hold the pads on during installation???? DO I have to disassemble the rear brakes again to install these? :?
RoadRacer

Post by RoadRacer »

Mark, Matt, Any more input??? I still need help.........
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the hardware is not to hold the pads during installation, they keep the pads from vibrating which is the cause of squealing. The calipers will have to be removed, but not the brackets
RoadRacer

Post by RoadRacer »

Thank you...... Today I received my repair manual. In the manual the clips are only on the front calipers and not on rears.
I have the clips on both front and rear. So today I took off calipers (again) and installed the clips which are only on one end of the pads not on both. Thank for all your help....... :D
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the clips should go on the rear end of the pads, so they are pushed fwd in the bracket. Otherwise you will get a "click" when first applying the brakes.
RoadRacer

Post by RoadRacer »

Thank you for your replies.... Two more question.... Does it matter if you use the same pads for front and rear?
Does it matter if I use the same type of clips on front and rear? I noticed the pads dictate what clips to use....
The front pads need the long clips and the back pads use the short clips. My car had same pads as rear on front with short clips. :shock:
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the clips will fit either front or rear, the pads are different. The rear pads besides being thinner, have a raised pin on the back that prevents the piston from turning when the e-brake is applied