Sticky, stretchy (??) clutch cable

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
wubie317
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider

Sticky, stretchy (??) clutch cable

Post by wubie317 »

I recently replaced the clutch cable on my '77 spider (4th time, so I'm getting 'good' at it, but it's still a PITA).

With the fact that I have to replace them every year or so because they break in mind, my most recent attempt has a strange effect. The first few pumps of the clutch after installation were fine and the pedal was smooth and quite easy to depress.

Then, for some reason, the clutch started to get sticky...it made a friction-ey sound especially towards the bottom of the push. It was even slow to return up, almost feeling like it wasn't going to come back. I checked the seating of the knurly thing in the pedal and all is perfectly seated and correctly positioned in the hook (the notch is where it should be)

As a first step, I lubed everything with white silicone and even squirted some WD-40. I checked and slightly loosened the nuts that hold the bar which all the pedals run through and made sure the clutch return spring was where it should be, but this didn't change anything. It's clear that it's somewhere other than the pedal.

Another oddity is that the clutch operates smoothly when the engine is cold and the weather is below 50°F, but as it warms, it starts to stick and after continued usage, it starts to get very difficult to get into gear...as if the clutch nut below needs to be tightened.

I will next try to 'spin' the sheath in which the cable runs, thinking there may be a mfg flaw and/or a slight kink in it, but the arc from firewall to clutch paddle looks smooth to me...may even reroute it slightly behind a hose in the engine that it's currently in front of.

Next is a new cable and re-do (which is no fun, as many of you know). The clutch itself isn't new, but it was replaced about 20K miles ago and seems to be OK.

Any thoughts on the problem or experience resolving it????
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Sticky, stretchy (??) clutch cable

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I have heard of this issue although I haven't experienced it myself. It almost sounds like something is wrong with the clutch lever inside the bellhousing, or the throwout bearing, or the clutch itself. But, before you tackle that dreaded job, try disconnecting the cable from the clutch fork that sticks outside the bellhousing. Have an assistant press the clutch pedal while you hold on to the cable (perhaps with a pair of vise-grips), and see if your assistant can feel any binding.

Another thing to check is that the firewall isn't cracking where the clutch cable goes though. Next to the brake booster. Cracks do occur, although it seems to happen on later model spiders more than on the earlier ones. Not sure why. Thinner sheet metal?

-Bryan
wubie317

Post by wubie317 »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:I have heard of this issue although I haven't experienced it myself. It almost sounds like something is wrong with the clutch lever inside the bellhousing, or the throwout bearing, or the clutch itself. But, before you tackle that dreaded job, try disconnecting the cable from the clutch fork that sticks outside the bellhousing. Have an assistant press the clutch pedal while you hold on to the cable (perhaps with a pair of vise-grips), and see if your assistant can feel any binding.

Another thing to check is that the firewall isn't cracking where the clutch cable goes though. Next to the brake booster. Cracks do occur, although it seems to happen on later model spiders more than on the earlier ones. Not sure why. Thinner sheet metal?

-Bryan
Thanks Bryan-
If I recall correctly from when I replaced the clutch, the clutch lever is sort of 'hooked' inside the bell housing, not really attached with anything. I was thinking it may have jumped off one side when the cable snapped. Do you know if I can manipulate it without taking the bell housing off?
18Fiatsandcounting

wubie317 wrote:Do you know if I can manipulate it without taking the bell housing off?
Yes, it is possible, but tricky. Disconnect the clutch cable from the end of the lever, and see if the lever slides smoothly front to back. It shouldn't have much sideways play.

The opposite end of this clutch lever (the end that's inside the bellhousing) rides on a ball socket "fulcrum" that is screwed into the bellhousing. The socket of the clutch lever is held in place with a U-shaped metal clip, and the design of this clip isn't great, so the lever sometimes pops off the ball socket thingie.

See how your clutch lever behaves when the cable is disconnected. If it flops around, you can sometimes work on it for a while and get it to slide back into place, but not always.

-Bryan
wubie317

Re: Sticky, stretchy (??) clutch cable [RESOLVED, SOMEWHAT]

Post by wubie317 »

It seems that the cable wasn't seated properly at the hole in the bell housing. It do think my clutch may be near its end-of-life as it does get tough to depress when using it a lot in city driving.

Thanks for the help!
18Fiatsandcounting

Re: Sticky, stretchy (??) clutch cable [RESOLVED, SOMEWHAT]

wubie317 wrote:It do think my clutch may be near its end-of-life as it does get tough to depress when using it a lot in city driving.
Is the clutch pedal free play adjusted right? Easiest to feel with your hand when kneeling by the car, and the pedal should depress about an inch before it gets stiffer (clutch starting to disengage). Also, how far is the pedal from the floor when engaging the clutch? If more than 3 or 4 inches, then yes, your clutch may be reaching the end. Assuming that free play is adjusted correctly.

The clutch should last more than 20K miles, though. Typical range is 60K to 80K miles, and I've seen some make it to 100K. A lot depends on how much you slip the clutch. Oil leaks can cause premature issues as well.

-Bryan
Nut124
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by Nut124 »

Something is not right with this clutch. These Fiat clutches are sturdy and should outlast most drivers. I have had Spiders for 30 years and never had any clutch trouble. Never replaced a clutch cable due to failure.
CharlieB
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat Spider

Post by CharlieB »

As Bryan mentioned, check the firewall. This sounds very similar to the issues I had a couple years ago with a very stiff clutch pedal.
I had a crack in the firewall where the cable passes through. I welded it back together and added a square plate with a hole cut in it for reinforcement. May or may not be applicable to your situation, but certainly worth checking.
Charlie
1976 Fiat 124 Spider