Electrical Downsizing

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Blast
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Electrical Downsizing

Post by Blast »

I've seen a lot here and there about reducing emissions components from the Spider. I need to do that myself in the future, but what about reducing the elecrical wiring in the dash. In the center of my dash theres a potentiometer for the wipers, and one for the dash lights. I don't see those two items as high priority, considering the wipers generally run too slow, and the dash lights don't seem to bright on high. I'm seriously thinking about building a simple, but I think very sharp looking homemade wooden dash, which would be much simplier and attractive without those pots. The three warning lights for the seatbelt, hazard, and brake could be moved to the upper console. If anyone could enlighten me as to why this would be a bad idea, please tell me before I begin this project. I found this modified dash on the net somewhere.

Jet Setting on Minimum Wage Baby!
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: Electrical Downsizing

Post by baltobernie »

Wow! What a great looking dash; veneer over a molded core?

Eliminating the dimmer from the dash circuit should be OK, but I'd check Brad's wiring diagram for your vintage regarding the intermittent wiper control. With many Fiats, particularly older ones, circuits are interconnected, and voltage sometimes goes thru one unrelated component before arriving at the one you're troubleshooting. Here's his website: http://www.artigue.com/fiat.php. Also on his site is a link to my rewiring guide to Spiders. You could use only the section regarding windshield wipers to keep your existing harness.
kristoj
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider 2000 Turbo

Post by kristoj »

I am a diehard "keep it stock" guy. And I have seen a lot of homemade dashes and don't like any of them. But I have to admit, that is the coolest looking dash I have ever seen in a Spider. I'm still keeping mine stock, but if I was going to modify it, THAT is the one I would want.
John
'82 Fiat Spider Turbo
'56 Abarth 750 GT Corsa MM
'59 Lancia Appia GTE Zagato
'62 Lancia Flaminia 2.5 3C Convertible
'68 Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato
'70 Moretti Sportiva S2
'12 Abarth 500
'59 MV Agusta 250 Raid

Pictures of my baby!
Blast

Post by Blast »

Thanks Baltobernie,
That was a good point to make, but I have studied Bradleys wiring diagram for the 78 spider, and its not one of those situations on either one of them luckily. The job would only consist of removing the part, and permanently connecting the appropriate wires together, and leaving the others unconnected.

My dash has shrunk a tiny bit from years of heat I guess, and all the wood pieces and center chrome piece are wegded together so tight, it makes removing any part of it a nightmare. Trying to get those knobs back on on those pots are killer. The wood layers on the gauge part is desintergrating, and the chome center piece is peeling, and the wood grain is really only formica anyway. I think the dash is the only weak part of the Spiders fantastic interior. Not the whole dash, just the face with the formica and chrome parts. The dash in that photo looks so clean and uncluttered, the way an italian sports car should in my opinion. I hope I don't get beat up for that one :D

Besides removing the pots, I would have to figure out how to attach the piece so it could be easily removed. and that the wires connected to the instuments would be long enough to accommodate removal. Considering that I have that same problem when removing the current setup (the steering wheel is in the way, when trying to get to the back of the gauges), I can't do much worse than the factory.

Also, you said this was a laminate over a mold? I can't tell, and I don't know much about laminates, but I was going to make one out of a solid piece of wood, with one cut for the glove box door. If you or someone more experienced in this type of construction would have any tips on how to construct that dash, it would be appreciated.
Thanks Blast
Last edited by Blast on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

It is a pain to get all those little lights screwed back on their posts. I have found if you unscrew the radio console and drop it, you can hold the light sockets in from the back while screwing the lens back on. I also have to drop the steering column to do any work on the instrument panel gauges. I've also found that dash you have pictured very tasteful.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

THAT is a simple gorgeous dash! if Fiat didn't need to address all of the legislation that the US mandated... and if the US consumer really didn't demand all the doo-dads, i am sure that Fiat would have loved to produce a dash like yours!!!

moving the hazard switch is no more difficult than making the wires longer. I honestly don't believe that the seat belt light and dimmer switch are at all necessary, and eliminated them both from my dash modification. I did keep a brake light switch, but made it about 75% smaller; just knowing it functions is enough... the size is inmaterial.

i kept the original gauge packet and added two gauges in the center board. wish i had the modified diagram to eliminate the wiper delay rheostat...or step by step instructions. studying this gave me a headache, so i just tucked that switch deep in the dashboard.

you do good work. stop by anytime!!
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

I have that same dash pic,thumbtacked to the board in my garage .I love it,and really want to copy it someday!
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
racydave

Post by racydave »

You could always remove the hazard switch, and run like wires together. It saves alot of problems that you will have with your lights. Mine is gone, im bad, and do not miss it!
racydave

Post by racydave »

Electrical downsizing. I spent alot of time quandering about this when my dash and W\shield were out. The harness is complicated at best! Depending on what you want to keep, you can simplify it some, but not alot. At least mine is all safe and insulated. Some systems will be re-wired, such as int lights, stereo. I use a single pull Headlamp switch, and dash lights with no potemtiometer.( SP ) Helps clean it up. Yes a original car is best, mine was pretty ratty...
Blast

Post by Blast »

Today I removed the wiper and light dimmer pots and wired them permanently together. I removed the gauge panel, chrome piece, and glove box door to measure. I needed a piece of wood appr. 40" long and 5" wide. Got a pine 1"X6" four foot long and traced everything out on the board, then trimmed it with a jig saw. The vinyl edges of the dash are not perfectly aligned with the pieces I removed, so I left a little play in each direction to compensate for fit. Last I used a rasp to see how the curving of the edge would look, then it got dark.The pine board is a trial, and maybe a template for a hardwood board if all goes well. I tried to take photos, but the pine and a camera flash just wouldn't cooperate with each other, but its beginning to look like the dash in the photo :D
TulsaSpider
Your car is a: 1978 Spyder 124 2L

Post by TulsaSpider »

I wonder just who's dash that is? Anyway there are many other posts on this subject. The one I read that stuck out in my mind is that a solid wood dash will warp so you need to address that issue and the multiple types of sealants/stains that would last the longest in the elements.
1978 Spyder 1800 make that 2L! Finally making real progress!
Blast

Post by Blast »

Good point Oklahomanewbie. If anyone out there can recommend a good coating to put over a stain, let me know. I may have to leave for several days, but if not, I plan on getting busy on trying to finish this dash, and post a pic.
pope

Post by pope »

I would think a good polyurethane with a UV additive. Make sure that you coat all of the wood, including all of the back parts, sides and inside the whole cuts. Everything has to be coated so that moisture does not have a place to get in and warp the board.
Hutch

Post by Hutch »

How hard would it be, and what would be the best material to use, if you wanted to make a more stable core and then use a wood veneer over the core? I know others have mentioned it before but what would you use that would be stable (no warping) but could still be shaped like the dash in Blast's picture?
fiasco
Your car is a: 1969 Fiat Spider

Post by fiasco »

Hutch wrote:How hard would it be, and what would be the best material to use, if you wanted to make a more stable core and then use a wood veneer over the core? I know others have mentioned it before but what would you use that would be stable (no warping) but could still be shaped like the dash in Blast's picture?
Think about classic sailboats. Made of wood, and exposed to sun, air and water far more than your dash ever would be. The secret is to start with a stable wood and then finish it with many, many coats of spar varnish. The more you put on, the more protection you have (and the more you'll be able to polish it up).

-- se
Steve Eubanks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1969 Fiat 124 Spider AS | 2108 Fiat 124 Spider Classica | http://calstylestudio.com