Headlight trim ring gaskets

Gotta love that wiring . . .
PaulRandall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 2000

Headlight trim ring gaskets

Post by PaulRandall »

I bought a 1980 Fiat 2000. It is quite taken apart and I am putting it back together from parts in boxes.
My question is how to secure the headlights? Specifically, do I use the headlight trim ring gaskets that I have? If I do, how do they fit?
I would appreciate the help.
Thanks,
Paul
Nut124
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Re: Headlight trim ring gaskets

Post by Nut124 »

The rubber trim/gasket fits around and under the chrome trim. It has nothing to do with securing the light assy.
PaulRandall

Post by PaulRandall »

Nut124,
Thanks for your advise. I'll try soon to get the headlight assemblies mounted.
Paul
SpiderGuy
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina Spider 2000 5 spd

Post by SpiderGuy »

Paul, It is kind of tricky to figure it out if you didn't see all the parts come apart, or are possibly missing any key parts
I took mine all apart and didn't pay any particular attention to the order. Several months later when I went to put them back together it was a real puzzle. At the time, (I forgot that my Service Manual has these handy pictures for reference) I fiddled with them for a quite a while and figured out EVERY POSSIBLE way they WOULDN'T FIT together :twisted: , then finally got em reassembled nice right and tight. :D

assembly order:
1) Rubber gasket onto body, Alignment Tabs fit in body cut outs, trim screw hole (F) aligned at bottom
2) Headlight Bucket
3) Bulb (H)
4) Retaining Ring (G), align the 3 screws (D), Rotate into slots and tighten screws (D)
5) Hook Chrome Trim ( ) Ring on top attaching tab ( ) (screw hole F aligned at bottom) install and tighten screw (E) (shorty Philips Driver)
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I don't think the rubber gasket that is on the edge of the chrome headlight ring is used on an 80 Spider. The 80 Spider uses a molded plastic piece that is fastened to the car with black metal clips. These clips are held in place with the bucket mounting screws
SpiderGuy
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina Spider 2000 5 spd

Post by SpiderGuy »

spider2081 wrote:I don't think the rubber gasket that is on the edge of the chrome headlight ring is used on an 80 Spider. The 80 Spider uses a molded plastic piece that is fastened to the car with black metal clips. These clips are held in place with the bucket mounting screws
yes, I think we are both kind of saying the same thing more or less.
There is no rubber or plastic piece attached to the Front Chrome Trim Ring. The rubber? or Plastic? Part goes between the Bucket and the body.

My 81 must have been missing the Black Metal Clip Fasteners you referred to. That might explain why it kept falling out of place when I was trying to re-assemble it. I wound up sticking it to the Body with a couple dabs of Super Glue to hold it in position, then I got the Bucket screwed into place.

Don't you just hate it when the "PO Bubba" before you lost some of the Fasteners.
"We Don't Need NO Stinking Fastener Clips"
PaulRandall

Post by PaulRandall »

Spider Guy,

Wow! Thanks so much for the detailed info. I hope to get to it this week.

Thanks,
Paul
Nut124

Post by Nut124 »

SpiderGuy wrote:
spider2081 wrote:
There is no rubber or plastic piece attached to the Front Chrome Trim Ring. The rubber? or Plastic? Part goes between the Bucket and the body.

"We Don't Need NO Stinking Fastener Clips"
My -78 has a rubber(?) trim between the chrome ring and the body.
PaulRandall

Post by PaulRandall »

Today I got to it and installed the headlight buckets, bulbs, and bulb retaining rings.

When I then put on the final chrome headlight ring there is a gap between the bulb and the chrome headlight ring that looks like it should be filled with something. In a box I found a round plastic ring that fits onto the chrome headlight ring, but then I am unable to figure out how to attach the combination of the 2 to the body.

I found the part on Auto Ricambi and it is called a Headlight Trim Ring, Sku# RS6-387 and RS6-388.

If someone can explain how this plastic Headlight Trim Ring fits, the headlights will be done.

Thanks,
Paul
PaulRandall

Post by PaulRandall »

Maybe I'm wrong, and there is a visible gap.

Thanks,
Paul
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

The rubber? or Plastic? Part goes between the Bucket and the body.
I think 1979-1985 Spiders have a rubber seal between the body and the headlight bucket. There is nothing attached to the chrome dress ring. A plastic piece is installed using metal tabs on the outer surface of the light bucket. The tabs are held in place with the bucket mounting screws. The plastic piece has an area in its bottom for the chrome ring's mounting screw. The plastic piece is side specific. Here is a link to one. https://autoricambi.us/driver-side-head ... t-1979-85/

I could not find a photo of the parts mentioned in a parts book or service manual.

Hope this is some help
Nut124

Post by Nut124 »

PaulRandall wrote:Maybe I'm wrong, and there is a visible gap.

Thanks,
Paul
There is a gap between the sealed bulb and the chrome ring. That is normal. About 3/8 inch or so.