Auto Transmission leak- Help needed

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
Fiat88

Auto Transmission leak- Help needed

Post by Fiat88 »

Hey guys I'm trying to find out the source of my trans leak. When I bought my car 4 years ago, the seller stated that the rear trans seal probably needed replacing. He included the seals with the car. I've noticed that after I drive the car and park it, the next day I have a silver dollar sized puddle underneath the car. I noticed if I raised the front of the car, the leak is a little bigger. I changed the trans filter/ pan gasket/ speedo o-ring seal and put high milage Dexron fluid in, the leaking stopped for about a week, then it started up again. It now looks like the fluid is leaking from the front of the car. I remember the old pan gasket was weeping oil and the bottom of the pan was trans fluid coated. I repainted the pan silver and changed the gasket,the bottom of the pan is now dry. I do noticed that the gasket is looking a little more wetter, though. Any ideas? I really hope its not the input drive seal because I don't want to have to seperate the engine and trans. Would trans oil leak from there anyway? Appreciate any advice on what to do as trans fluid adds up. :?
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Re: Auto Transmission leak- Help needed

Post by 124JOE »

retorque the pan
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
BajaSpider
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by BajaSpider »

Hello Fiat88,

What was your solution? Having similar issues with my 80’ Spider 2000 automatic leaking around bottom of transmission pan after driving.
BajaSpider
Fiats & Life - require daily attention :wink:
bdinardo
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat 2000

Post by bdinardo »

I will add that my auto trans is leaking from the gear selector linkage seal on the passenger side of the trans. I understand the replacement for that seal is quite intrusive so I'm just monitoring for now until I decide to drop the trans for other reasons but maybe check that area on your car.

Unless of course anyone is able to provide some insight on if that seal can possibly be replaced with the trans still in the car. Thanks.

Brian