Chrome Trim Removal

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
Scarpa
Your car is a: 1981 SPIDER

Chrome Trim Removal

Post by Scarpa »

Hi, my 81 has chrome trim on the doors; I was just wondering what the stigma is and what the effort would be to remove said trim. I was also thinking of doing something with the door handles but not sure what.
SpiderGuy
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina Spider 2000 5 spd

Re: Chrome Trim Removal

Post by SpiderGuy »

Don't know what a "stigma" is since I have never had one of those. :P

But are you talking about the Chrome and rubber bumper guard rails that run down the center of the Fender, door and rear quarter panel ? or the chrome strip at the top of the door below the window? Or do you mean the chrome trim panels at the bottom?

Last edited by SpiderGuy on Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

I RABIDY despise the ugly cheesy nasty riveted on center buggy (guard rails) and will remove them and weld up the rivet holes when I get around to painting mine.

The top Chrome trim piece below the window holds the rubber part that keeps the wind and rain out. I would leave the top chrome piece unless you are completely striping the car (and removing the door glass!) for something like a track car or a bare bones beater

If you remove the top trim piece and rubber the door glass will be flopping around loose . That trim and the inner top trim on the door card hold the door glass tight
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

The door handles can be removed and the sheet metal welded smooth and flush. You could install electrically operated servos with a hidden button or a remote to pop the latch.

Or if you are stripping it to be a bare bones beater, weld the doors shut and hop over the top of the doors to get in and out.
Scarpa

Post by Scarpa »

Yeah im talking about these pieces, I would also love to shave the door handles some day.

The bottom piece doesn't bother me so much as the two door vertical ones
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

those vertical strips are ugly obscene aftermarket strips stuck on by someone :oops: . I would remove them for sure. Probably just held on with sticky tape. You should be able to peel them off and then use glue remover to get any sticky residue off without hurting the paint.

The strip along the lower rocker panel is original factory and it doesn't detract from the great lines of the car and offers some protection. I would leave it alone.

Beautiful Spider you have there ! I hope to get mine looking that good eventually
Scarpa

Post by Scarpa »

Thanks for the suggestions! Ill keep you posted on how it goes with removing those vertical ones.
Jimb
Your car is a: 1985.5 Volumex

Post by Jimb »

Door edgings are just a pressed fit. The sill below the doors are stainless steel, not chrome and therefor can be polished to a high, scratchless finish

Jim