1977 Fiat 124 Restoration

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
Erkenbrand
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124 1800

Re: 1977 Fiat 124 Restoration

Post by Erkenbrand »

This Fiat has slowed a bit since I bought a second 77 Fiat 124. They make quite the pair.

The one I picked up runs pretty well, and just needs a lot of maintenance items to make it road worthy.

So, I may post progress on it. But photo posting on this forum is a huge pain. :)
1977 Fiat 124 1800
“Most neuroses and some psychoses can be traced to the unnecessary and unhealthy habit of daily wallowing in the troubles and sins of five billion strangers.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
Erkenbrand

Post by Erkenbrand »

Big updates here - the green 77 Fiat has moved on to another home. It's being used to bring another 77 back to life, and it's remaining good parts are spreading further.

The white 77 is just about ready for prime time. I have it scheduled to go to the garage for a New York State Inspection later this week. Once the inspection is done I'm going to spend a day replacing the timing belt.

I have driving it about 20 miles, but after all of the suspension & steering work the alignment is out of whack. But it feels great to have it going.
1977 Fiat 124 1800
“Most neuroses and some psychoses can be traced to the unnecessary and unhealthy habit of daily wallowing in the troubles and sins of five billion strangers.”
Erkenbrand

Post by Erkenbrand »

Here's a summary of everything I've done to my white '77. At the time it didn't seem like it was too crazy . . . but then:

- Pertronix ignition
- Weber 32 / 36 carb and jetted to match the motor
- Removed all of the smog components
- Replaced all springs with AR lower springs
- New shocks all around
- New calipers / cross drilled & slotted rotors / pads / bearings on each corner
- New braided steel brake hoses
- Upper and lower control arms / ball joints
- Tie rods / sway bars / links / every bushing
- AR relay kit
- And installed an old Alpine cassette deck
- New tires

Coming up:
- Timing belt / water pump / idler / all coolant hoses (coming up this Saturday)
- Header and exhaust (maybe this weekend)

Needs:
- Seats are pretty worn
- Conv top is shot
- Throw out bearing is noisy
- I need to make a decision on the bumpers. It still has the originals.

But I really hope to finally be driving it this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed the inspection goes ok.
1977 Fiat 124 1800
Erkenbrand

Post by Erkenbrand »

It's been a while since I posted an update. In the interim I kind of broke the Fiat motor. I was being a bit of an idiot, and ran it too hard on the back roads. Then, I parked it and debated while tackling other projects (1980 Mustang / 1962 Skylark). I finally decided to replace the motor so I could be on the road this summer, and rebuild the old one while I have time to build it for more performance.

Last weekend, I headed over to CT and picked up the motor. Thanks again to Vics124. If you're looking for parts you can see his listing in the Classified here. I've picked up several things from him (doors, hood, door handles, ignition switch, and more stuff I'm blanking on). He's definitely worth reaching out to if you need anything.

There are a bunch of things I'm going to clean up in the engine bay while I have the motor out. It'll be nice to have some room in there to tidy up.

1977 Fiat 124 1800
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Erkenbrand wrote: Thanks again to Vics124. If you're looking for parts you can see his listing in the Classified here. I've picked up several things from him (doors, hood, door handles, ignition switch, and more stuff I'm blanking on). He's definitely worth reaching out to if you need anything.
Agreed, Vic's a good guy. I've bought a number of things from him over the years, and the only challenge for me is the shipping costs to go across the country, which is what it is.

-Bryan
PS: Bummer about the engine...
Erkenbrand

Post by Erkenbrand »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:
Erkenbrand wrote: Thanks again to Vics124. If you're looking for parts you can see his listing in the Classified here. I've picked up several things from him (doors, hood, door handles, ignition switch, and more stuff I'm blanking on). He's definitely worth reaching out to if you need anything.
Agreed, Vic's a good guy. I've bought a number of things from him over the years, and the only challenge for me is the shipping costs to go across the country, which is what it is.

-Bryan
PS: Bummer about the engine...
It's a 5 / 6 hour drive to his place for me. Definitely worth the drive to load up a truck. Shipping is rough these days.
1977 Fiat 124 1800