BURNT ECM NEED NEW ONE BUT WHERE DO I FIND IT

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Brojab
Your car is a: 1984 Pinifarina Spider

BURNT ECM NEED NEW ONE BUT WHERE DO I FIND IT

Post by Brojab »

Hi I have a 1984 fiat spider and the Ecm isn’t sending any signal to the injectors or anything else. I need to get a new EFI system I’ve been told and the only one I could find was from halltech which costs over 6k. Haltech is known for performance and racing I feel like it’s over kill for what I need. I looked for other options but couldn’t find any. Any recommendations I want to get my car up before summer.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: BURNT ECM NEED NEW ONE BUT WHERE DO I FIND IT

Post by spider2081 »

:o
Last edited by spider2081 on Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by spider2081 »

often when the ECM is not pulsing the injectors the problem is the ignition control module or something related to the coil. Do you have more than 10 volts at the coils + terminal while the engine is cranking?
Is the voltage pulsing or flickering at the coils - terminal when the engine is cranking over?
The ECMs are very reliable and seldom fail unless someone does something to it.
Brojab
Your car is a: 1984 Pinifarina Spider

Post by Brojab »

I bought the car and after driving for 15 minutes the oil pressure would go to 0. I gave it to a shop and they messed with the wiring to troubleshoot but they said the ECM wasn’t giving any signal to the injectors or anything. I have the car now and it doesn’t even start anymore. So I’ve been trying to research but there is nothing on my situation. People from this shop and other shops said I need to get a new ECM that is modern so they can swap it out but the cheapest set up costs 10k. Im thinking of just doing an engine swap. I’m lost and just want the car to run.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by spider2081 »

I’m lost and just want the car to run.
Your car came from the factory with a Bosch L-Jetronic fuel injection system. This system was used in the many foreign car makes from the late 70's to late 80's So many foreign car repair facilities are familiar with the system.
Maybe if you post your location some could refer you to a local shop that could service your car economically.
Also if you join the Mirafiori.com site they have a library ( for members) that has lots of information you could study and learn troubleshooting your own car.
toyfiats
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Post by toyfiats »

If you think "just doing an engine swap" is the answer to your troubles.........

Not trying to sound like a jerk,, but if you don't have the ability or desire to learn how to troubleshoot your current problem (and nothing wrong with not being able to, not everyone is cut out for it), AND you don't have a knowledgeable local shop to work on your car then the sooner you sell it and buy something newer the better you'll be off. Quite frankly the shops you're talking to either don't know what they are doing, or just want your money, because there's no such thing as just "swapping out" a modern ECM on our cars. Like an engine swap, that's only asking for trouble.

These cars are 40-50 years old, and while not overly complicated, they do take some specialized knowledge to keep on the road. The solutions you're talking about are going to do the opposite.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I believe on the later model spiders that the fuel pump shuts off if the oil pressure goes to zero (or close to it). A safety feature in case the car was involved in an accident. Check your oil pressure sending units as they go bad over time.

-Bryan
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by spider2081 »

I believe on the later model spiders that the fuel pump shuts off if the oil pressure goes to zero (or close to it).
This is true on the carb Spiders with with electric fuel pumps but I believe with Fuel injected Spiders the power for the fuel pump is controlled by a switch in the Air flow Meter. If the engine RPM drops too low the fuel pump power could be disconnected by that switch in the Air Flow Meter causing the engine to stop running.

I think an earlier post mentioned fuel fouled spark plugs. The coolant temperature sensor and or its connector are often a cause for this symptom as well as engine quitting due to flooding.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by spider2081 »

If you post where you live maybe someone familiar with you Spider could assist you or suggest a shop qualified to help you.
It sounds like the shop you used gave you back a car in worse condition than when you brought it to them.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I answered another thread on this topic before I saw this one. I fully agree the the best course of action is to find a repair shop that is familiar with the older Bosch L-Jetronic systems used in the spiders. As stated, many modern repair shops plug the engine into a computer diagnostic that tells them what parts to replace, but that's not what is needed here. You need an old-school mechanic who knows the early fuel injection cars.

-Bryan
PS: I made an error when I stated that the oil pressure and ECU are connected. 1979 and some 1980 carburetor spiders had a fuel pump that would cut out if the oil pressure was too low, but the Fuel Injection cars do not have this.