Front transmission seal

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
Rycol8184
Your car is a: 1969 Fiat 124 Coupe

Front transmission seal

Post by Rycol8184 »

Does anyone have a good drawing, picture, etc., that I can use to set the depth of the front transmission seal. I read that one, should scribe a line on the exterior of the seal, where it sits currently in the tube, but i prefer to have a factory spec, just in case the cause of the leak is an improper seal depth.

Thanks
Joe
Nut124
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Re: Front transmission seal

Post by Nut124 »

Look at the input shaft. The seal lip needs to stay on the polished journal of the input shaft. Examine the shaft for wear marks from the previous lip location.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Yes to what Nut said above. The way I do it: Tap the seal partially in place in that tube like carrier, see where the seal rides on the input shaft when pressed against the input shaft bearing (no bellhousing, but with the large beveled washer in place). Since you can't see the seal when it is in the carrier, you have mentally picture where the seal lip is, or mark it somehow. Then keep tapping in the seal a little bit at a time to get it to where you want.

I've never seen a spec, but I don't think it's critical as long as the lip of the seal rides on the polished part of the input shaft.

-Bryan
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Addition to what I said above: I remember now how I positioned the seal. I tapped the oil seal partially inserted in its carrier, smeared some colored grease on the input shaft, pushed the carrier on (with the large beveled washer) and then pulled it off, and then looked how far the grease had been pushed back. From that "indicator", I could tell how much further I had to insert the seal in the carrier.

-Bryan
Rycol8184
Your car is a: 1969 Fiat 124 Coupe

Post by Rycol8184 »

OK, thanks guys!

That’s very helpful. Especially love the grease idea.

Joe