Advice needed for a 78

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
dalvis
Your car is a: 1983 Pininfarina

Advice needed for a 78

Post by dalvis »

My dad has a (mostly) working 78 that he has owned for the past 20 years and wants to restore it. He lives in Lagrange, GA and doesn't know who to call. Alan in Riverdale would have been his first choice, but he retired a few years ago. He's prepared to pay more than the car is worth. He believes (as do I) that the spider was one of the best looking cars made.

Here's what he'd like done:
New or rebuilt engine/drivetrain. The current engine is probably only putting out 60 to 70 hp. He'd like at least 100.

Rebuild the suspension with new brakes and upgrade the 13 in steel wheels to at least 14in or 15in.

New interior (grey) and change the exterior to a dark red.

He knows this isn't going to be cheap, but he loves this car and wants to have fun driving it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dwayne
Anbele
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000 CS2

Re: Advice needed for a 78

Post by Anbele »

You may want to try Mr. Fiat. They’re in Atlanta, Georgia and might be able to help suggesting someone. Good luck!
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

You might also want to contact Brad Artigue, one of the co-administrators of the Fiat website mirafiori.com A wealth of knowledge, he lives north of Atlanta, and he probably knows people in that area who work on Fiats. Looks like it's about an hour from Lagrange, so not too far from where your dad is.

Brad also wrote the book, "Maintaining the Italian Roadster", specifically the Fiat spider.

-Bryan
TheBender
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Post by TheBender »

As Bryan mentioned, Brad Artigue would be a valuable source of local information. To me, the exterior paint doesn’t need to be Fiat specific nor does the interior. A good upholstery shop can do anything you need. You could do custom with them or source the products with our Fiat vendors and have them install. If you don’t find anyone local for the mechanical, I’d look into working with Jon Logan at MidWest Bayless. Many owners work with him across the country.