Possible Carburetor issue?

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
toml
Your car is a: 1978 spider

Possible Carburetor issue?

Post by toml »

Hi all.
I have a 1978 fiat 124.
Wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue.
When the car is warmed up nicely and I want to move forward from a stand still in first gear.
I have to pump the gas peddle or the car will stall when I try to move forward. This happens at every stand still.
Basically I'm revving the engine from a dead stop.
It's like the carb isn't sending enough gas into the engine.
When I am moving I am having no issue with this hesitation or stalling. It's only happening from a stopped position.

Thanks
Tom
Nut124
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Re: Possible Carburetor issue?

Post by Nut124 »

Did it run OK before for you?

It is quite normal to require some throttle to initiate movement going from stand still to 1st gear.

If you coast at idle in 1st gear and then step on it will it stumble or accelerate?
toml

Post by toml »

Honestly I'm not sure but will try what your asking.
Thanks
toml

Post by toml »

So I checked and this problem only happens when I am stopped and start to move forward in first gear.
Yadkin
Your car is a: 1974 Spider

Post by Yadkin »

You're accelerator pump is not operating. Get a rebuild kit and rebuild the carburetor. It will come with instructions on adjustments and settings while you reassemble.

At a minimum, I rebuild a carb every ten years. Back in the day with a daily driver I did it annually.
Nut124
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by Nut124 »

Yadkin wrote:You're accelerator pump is not operating. Get a rebuild kit and rebuild the carburetor. It will come with instructions on adjustments and settings while you reassemble.
That's what I was thinking. But the OP says it takes off fine when he steps on it while coasting at idle in 1st gear.

To me it sounds like he is expecting to get the car moving w/o giving it any throttle.