I have a couple questions...

General chat about the car goes in here.
Mark88
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider

I have a couple questions...

Post by Mark88 »

So a few months ago I became the proud new owner of a 1980 Fiat Spider FI. This is my first Spider and I couldn't be happier; what a great car! I do however a few questions I'm hoping the board can help me with...

1. Is there a reliable source for determining the paint code? The sticker that should be on the underside of the trunk lid is no longer there. I would describe the paint as metallic dark blue. While it has been repainted I believe it's the original color.

2. I plan to replace the timing belt sooner as I suspect it hasn't been done for awhile. Is one as good as another or are they all the same? Recommendations?

3. I noticed the bushings at the lower mounting point of the front shocks are pretty much dead. I'm having trouble finding these on any parts diagram. Anyone know what these are called or where I could find replacements?

4. Stalling. The car runs really well but occasionally just stalls out. I've noticed that happen when releasing the parking brake and when engaging reverse. It's also happened while driving. It will re-fire right away, but something is causing it to cut out in the first place. Any thoughts on what to check?

Thanks very much for your help!
Mark
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: I have a couple questions...

Post by TX82FIAT »

Welcome and once you square away a few things these cars are great.

Paint Codes - See this link to see if the color you describe is on the site. https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/c ... _fiat_1980

Timing Belt - I've had good luck with Gates belts.

The shock absorber lower bushings - They have come with new shock absorbers in the past for me. Not sure of the size so maybe somone can chime in. However, this should be an easily attainable part once you have the size.

Stalling - When parked with car at smooth idle, hit the brakes and see if your RPMS fluctuate. Suspect a ground issue in your brake circuit.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
rridge
Your car is a: 1981 Turbo Spider

Post by rridge »

Pininfarina put a label with the paint code and the name of the paint supplier on the inside of the trunk lid in the upper right hand corner of the opened lid.
davidbruce
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by davidbruce »

1. If you are looking for the code to get touch up paint I would visit a parts house that sells automotive paint and can scan your color. You could remove your gas filler door and take that in. Even if it was repainted the stock color there is bound to be some fading so a good match is unlikely. If you still want to know the code. Find a store that has the paint chip books for your year. See if they will let you take the page outside to compare with your car. If they won't let it out of the store you can still take a piece in to compare. I wouldn't trust comparing it to a color on the internet. Colors can be way off and the paint may be a color that was "close".

2. I have used Gates also with no issues and they are relatively easy to find.

3. I don't believe the lower bushings on the shocks are replaceable. If the rubbers are perished what are the upper ones like? 40 year old shocks, maybe replacements are in order?

4.If the car is normally running well but randomly quits I would look at the usual suspects. A flakey ignition switch, a bad ground. The white wire from the distributor to the ignition module behind the coil quite often gets damaged from the exhaust manifold. The delicate wires inside the distributor for the pick up get damaged. A bad connector at the temp switch in the coolant T in the front of the engine. Those kinds of issues can be tough to find until they develop.
Dave Kelly
Campbell River B.C.
1973 Sport(sold)
1980 Spider 2000(project, aren't they all)
Mark88

Post by Mark88 »

Thanks very much for the help with my questions...much appreciated! With your help I should be able to make some headway on these projects.

Stay tuned, i'm sure there will be more questions to come!

Thanks!
Mark
Mark88

Post by Mark88 »

Does the stalling issue sound like it could be related to the ignition control module? I'm hearing that's a common failure point.
Thanks