Additives

General chat about the car goes in here.
Anbele
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000 CS2

Additives

Post by Anbele »

So, is there an additive to the oil/gas that you guys would recommend? Like Liqui Molí and the like? I’ve been reading the reviews and of course, they’re very subjective.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: Additives

Post by TX82FIAT »

Be careful with the additive market as snake oil in a can is common. However, for the oil, Rislone makes a ZDDP supplement that runs about $8. It is cheap lubricity to help campshaft and tappet wear. Shell Rotella T4 15W40 has very good wear protection and the engine will be just fine with that (no additive needed). I add about 10 ounces or so of ZDDP when I use Castrol 20W50. I like the 20W50 for warmer Texas running. For a Gas additive it depends on where you live and the condition of your car. The older fuel hoses and bits on the FIATs were not designed to run on ethanol gas. Further, on ethanol, old build up in the tank can break free and clog filters and things. Having a clean fuel filter and fuel pump is important. If you can, try buying non-ethanol gas if available in your area. If you are going to store the car with a fuel tank of ethanol gas for a long period of time it may be wise to add a bottle of Sta-bil 360 to avoid some of the corrosive nature of ethanol. The only other reason to bump the octane level would be if your car is pining because of low octane fuel. The base engine spide should be fine on 87 Octane.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban