replacing the transmission output oil seal

General chat about the car goes in here.
sofia72
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider 124

replacing the transmission output oil seal

Post by sofia72 »

Can the tx output oil seal, which appears to be leaking, be replaced without removing the tx from the car? I have had the tx out of the car a few times before and would like to avoid that procedure if possible. Not sure if I can get a wheel puller in there to extract the alignment washer.
Thanks,
peter
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: replacing the transmission output oil seal

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

sofia72 wrote:Not sure if I can get a wheel puller in there to extract the alignment washer.
Peter, by "alignment washer", do you mean the collar that is pressed on the end of the shaft, with the crosshatch on the outer circumference?

I think a standard bearing puller should be able to pull that off, once the external circlip is removed. Then just take off the rubber cup seal and spring, lock the yoke into a recess in the rear transmission case with a long bolt, and spin off the nut. The yoke should pull off, perhaps with some tapping. You can drill a small hole in the outer metal of the old seal, screw in a sheet metal screw or the like, and use vise grips to yank the seal out.

So yes, it should be fairly straightforward to replace the seal with the transmission still in the car.

-Bryan
sofia72
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider 124

Post by sofia72 »

Thanks, that's what I thought, just needed to hear it from someone else before I started taking things apart. Good point about using a bearing puller instead of a wheel puller, because of the tight working space from under the car. My next rain-day project. Will post update.
Thanks,
Peter
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

One other trick that I have used: Loosen the nut, and as you back it off, it will push off the collar, perhaps with a thick metal spacer (or an appropriate wrench) inserted between the two. If you have a new rubber seal, you can cut the old one off, and I think the spring will slide over the collar so that you have more room to work on things. If by chance you have a new rubber seal and new spring, then just cut them off to get better access. AR has new springs (and seals): https://autoricambi.us/transmission-out ... ut-spring/

-Bryan
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by geospider »

I had some trouble getting that part out
ended up getting a tie rod remover and grinding out part of the seat to fit around the shaft; pulled it right off. now i have a specific tool for something I may not need to do.

geo